Xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernardo

Xantia brakes

Post by bernardo »

rear brakes on Xantia wont work. car failed mot . bleed screw opened very little pressure. anyone any ideas. 1996 19d turbo estate
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Any HP Citroën rear brakes only "work" efectivelly with some weight on the rear of the car, as they are dependant of the load on the suspension. Load the boot with a sac of cement next time ;) (any other thing thats weights is good too)
To have them bled, put the suspension on maximum height and then do the procedure.
How's the rest of the hydraulics? Is the accumulator sphere good (ticking intervals longer than the minimum of 30s)?
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no need to put it under load as all you have to do is put suspention right up on the highest setting,this will allow full presure to the rear brakes,when its on high you can jack it up and remove the wheels to gain access to the bleed niples
regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Xantia brakes

Post by Homer »

bernardo wrote:bleed screw opened very little pressure.
If you have opened the bleed screw with the suspension on anything but maximum and the car suspended then there will be very little pressure.

The rear brake pistons of BXs and Xantias are prone to siezing because they are so rarely used. You will probably get them back in operation simply by removing the pads and pushing the pistons back. There is a chance the seals will get damaged when you do but they are pretty easy to fit.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

citronut wrote:no need to put it under load as all you have to do is put suspention right up on the highest setting,
I doubt the MOT man is going to be very impressed if he has to put this car in maximum height to pass the test........
This is not a signature.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Exactly, that's what i meant! For MOT, put some load on the boot, to bleed it put it on max for system pressure.
Ah Xantias, at least they don't eat rear pads as fast as the front like the C5...
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955