Heater Blower Direction Query - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

320i coupe

Heater Blower Direction Query - Xantia

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

This is my first time on here, so please bear with me!
I have a '97 P Reg Xantia TD, and ive got a very frustrating problem, the slider will not go across to send the air to the screen for demisting, it seems to have some kind of resistance??
i have partially removed the dash, and the cable that seems to control this has a kink in it???
is the cable supposed to have a kink in it, or could there be another reason why the air wont go there???

It will flow to foot & face fine???

Oh and finally where does this cable go, could it have broke at the other end???

Sorry for your waffling, but its driving me mad on this winter mornings, and i dont want to send it to our incompetent local dealer!

Thanks,

Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No kinks on control cables please !
That would certainly upset the operation.

The control cables for the ventilation flaps are the simple ones with a rigid (nut spunned) inner to make it a flexible push/pull rod.
The Xantia heater does not suffer from a cooling water tap that could seize. It's all controlled by flap positions.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

so are we saying that its simply the cable that is at fault??

if they are, how mad a job is it to replace??

steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not ben there myself - but try the forum search facility "Citroen" "heater control" "all terms".
Got 119 replies ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

searched for that, and it did bring up an issue from a few years back, but no 1 posted a solution!

any ideas???
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If no one knows how the cables are meant to run-operate, you could go to the local srapyard and remove the dash on a scrap one so you can see whats inside, and work out the problem is with yours. :roll: :)

Then hopefully you could take some piccies, and have some information available for the next person to get this problem. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've just come in from doing exactly that job!

The face vents are on their own cable, which operates at the end of the distribution lever movement. The screen/floor vents are on another cable. It's easy to see where it's connected at the control end. The other end is visible through the radio hole (the radio and surround will be out anyway) slightly to the right and quite high up, around instrument level.

Assuming both ends are reasonably close to where they should be I would cable tie or tabe the new cable to the old and pull it through. In my case it was just a clip had fallen off.

There's a bit of faffing about getting the face vent actuator to work properly but it's not too hard.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.