Leaky steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Leaky steering

Post by np »

I seen to have a LHM leak under the front of the car :( .Having a quick look around,it would seen to leaking from the steering gear.Where the bottom of steering column meets the steering rack,it is leaking from there.It seems to be a pig to get at as theres hardly any room around it.Its only just started doing it in the last few weeks as it was`nt leaking at the MOT.Anyone with any idea`s as what to do about it? :cry:
I reckon its time for a new car!
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Me thinks its the pinion valve pipes leaking. They have a habit of cracking up when the bushes securing the ram cylinder are worn/soft.
The cause is that the pinion valve is solid bolted onto rack - but ram cylinder is bolted on via rubber bushes. Try link these 2 components with rigid piping lasting forever :roll:

Its no big deal - except it IS a pig of a job because all bits seems to be crammed down there. A typical DIY project to save ££'s.

The worst thing is you never know if the pipe bursts completely with a consequent loss of all LHM.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Can you see exactly where the source of the leak is ? Or are you not quite sure ?

Mine developed a leak on the main overflow pipe junction and was dripping down the bottom - from underneath the car you can see a large overflow pipe that comes down from the top right, passes by the height corrector, and goes across the bottom of the suspension chassis area before going up to the tank. The oil was running down the OUTSIDE of this pipe.

Just a few inches from the steering rack there is a junction where it goes from a steel pipe to this rubber hose and there is a crimp clamp. I was able to JUST gain access to it by taking the front right wheel off and working through the hole in the wheel arch.

While turning the steering I was able to see this junction visibly weeping oil.

Without removing the pipe I was able to remove the crimp clamp and thread on a small jubilee (?) type clamp and tighten it using a little socket ratchet. (A very awkward job I must admit)

No leak now and its been completely dry for 3 weeks since I did it!

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

My 97 leaked at the same place - the pinion repair kit did not have the right coloured bits in it so I got a secondhand rack. The one from a HDI fitted it - had to change the tie rods and also one of the pipe connectors. On the HDI model it took a flared end pipe - similiar to a brake pipe with no rubber sleeve. Its a bit of a fiddly job getting the rack out through the wheel arch as the space is tight, but there aer ony four studs holding the rack in place up through the subframe so easy to get at.

Brian

97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD (RIP)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Have not been able to have another look at it as i`m working 7am-7pm at the mo.When i left work tonight,there was a nice puddle of LHM underneath,about 1-2 litres worth.Although with the engine running & turning the steering,there is no visable dripping from it.It seems to leak more when parked up.I have some new LHM to put in,as its not going to get done this side of Xmas,& the stop light goes out as normal.My trip to work is 10 mins away at the mo,so i will see how it goes.
I also need to get some new/2nd hand tailgate struts as the tailgate is hitting me on my nogging as it slams down :? :( :D ,airbag light on again :evil: after 4 mths from being fixed AGAIN!!!
I think i may start looking for a newer car,as i `ve now had it 4 yrs on the 22nd of this month,& put 50 odd k on it.I think the point has come where i cant keep spending money on it :(
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Set the suspension to max low when i got to work this morning.When i left,there was about a table spoon of LHM under neath,so will do that when i park it up for now.Checked the LHM level,but all was fine,did`nt need to add any.So i must have to much lhm in the tank,but it has`nt been touched since June. :?:
I`m now working between Xmas & new year,so the next time i can have a good look will be New yrs eve.Will keep you informed. :)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Right then.Hav`nt had any time to look futher at my leaky steering.I`ve stopped dropping the suspension when its parked up now.The leak seems to have stopped :? .
Have had to put about 2 lts of LHM in it,but none since Xmas.
Fingers crossed it will hold out a bit. :D
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Aha...

But LHM leaks sadly does not stop as suddenly as they start. They keep on leaking :!:
It is very likely that your habit of lowering the suspension on parking the car is the answer to the leak mystery :wink:

WHEN you lower the suspension - the pressurised LHM is returned thru the HC return pipe which in most cases is a rubber line. And rubber lines have a habit of doing nasty things :
1) getting detached from studs
2) getting perished from general rot
3) develop hairline crackings especially at bends
4) crack at studs

The BX front HC has exactly a nasty habit of dumping the returned LHM out on the tarmac if you lower the suspension.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had a look under it today when i left work.Had`nt leaked a drop.Left the suspension at normal height too.Have a few days off now,so will use my new xmas pressie car ramps & have a good look at it. :)