help with HDI Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

apec15

help with HDI Xantia

Post by apec15 »

I have a 1999 xantia HDI 110 bhp . Working perfectly for 18 months untill yesterday. I started my car in the normal way and noticed a noise coming from the rear . It was coming from the fuel pump located in the tank . Normally when turning on ignition a "priming noise " comes on for 1-2 seconds ,but this noise continued . After running the car for a couple of hours ,i stopped the car but it would,nt start again . I banged the underneath of the tank and the car started o.k. albeit with the same noise. I tried to start the car again today and the "primer noise " you get when tuning on ignition was not there and the car will not start even after tapping the tank or the pump located under the rear seat . Could it be the in tank fuel pump or something simple? Any help appreciated
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

HDi usually have their fuel pumps go bang... open up the fuel filter assembly and check if you can find any traces of metallic dust or something in it. If you do, get a fuel pump ASAP as this can well damage the common-rail system :(
Best of luck!
Last edited by 406 V6 on 18 Dec 2005, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Very recently my Hdi stopped out of the Blue.
When I dissassembled the CR system, There was so much dirt and water that I felt like crying. The high pressure pump and injectors packed up. A VERY expensive bill is on its way.

I suspect that tha car has experienced the low pressure pump failure that Francisco described, but the CR was not properly "cleaned up".

Also be carefull with water getting into the injection system. The fuel filter, located in front of the engine, has a special plastic nut for water extraction. A well serviced HDi will last for ever but a badly serviced one is a nightmare. Mine has sure become one.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP