ZX with a Weeping Cam Cover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenbx

ZX with a Weeping Cam Cover

Post by citroenbx »

I have tried in vain to stop the cam cover weeping oil on my ZX 1.9TD.

Im on my second rubber gasket now in 3k miles i couldn't stop the first one leaking so tightened the 3 bolts just a little past there torque settings and cracked the cover.....AT THIS STAGE I WEEPED

Down to local breakers for a replacement cover,fit another new gasket but still she weeps oil.

Does anyone have any tips on setting the gasket with just those 3 bolts or do all XUD covers leak ?

Many thanks
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Never had any trouble with my old ZXTD. HAd a new gasket off GSF. You sure your fitting it the right way round? not trapping it anywhere? :?
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try if the seal surface on the cover is still true. If the bolts have been torqued the cover have a tendency to twist.
Easy checked on a level table top. You may even see it looking down the seal surface.
The solution is to carefully bend back the cover - overdoing it a wee bit the opposite way - i.e. make the cover wee narrower midway.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

XUD's don't seem to be endemic leakers anywhere as far as I can see. Neither our BX TD (200000 miles) or ZX 1.9D (77,000 miles) seem to leak from cam cover - but I did have a leak from there on the ZX which turned out to be one of the cover bolts had worked loose!

The do leak from elsewhere - like the breather tubes, cam seals, and I suppose with a Roto-diesel a perished leak-off tube would put oil in this area - especially when the car was driven fast. (Bosch would give bad starting with defective leak-off tubes)
jeremy
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Thanks guys so far..........My engine doesn't leak anywhere but here.

I'll take the cover off next week and just double check its true.
Yes your right about the the 3 bolts and the cover moving.I have been very carefull fitting it back and making sure everythings square.

I even bought 3 new Carbon washers for the 3 bolts just to be sure,but no oil still creeps under the rubber ?

Cheers for now anyway.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usual fix is a new cover seal,i have never had any probs,you just must not over tighten them if you do the sides will splay outwards,because the bolts are in the middle on top you will stress the cover with to much tighty
regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My cover started to leak oil about 3 yrs ago.I brought a new gasket from a local factors & fitted it.After a week it was leaking worse than before.Took it all apart & back together again but still leaked.Brought another gasket from another factors,same again.Still leaked :x .Went to Citroen,got a gasket from there,fitted it the same as the otheres,no more leaks :?: :? .Still no leaks after 3 odd yrs.Dont know if the other gaskets were badly made or over size or what.But the Citroen gasket cured it. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,

The method that I use is as follows:

Take off the cam cover, and place it on a flat surface (I use an oven door glass)..

You will note that there are several projections which limit how much the gasket is compressed, and these should all be level.
If the cover has been over tightened in the past this will distort the cover, and will show on some of the projections being higher or lower than others.

Remidy: place a sheet of course wet and dry paper on the glass, soak with diesel and gently rub the cover over the paper till all the projections are shiny. You may require an assistant to hold the paper in place.

Refit the cover and with luck, no more leaks.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Super Tips i'll try them and get back to you all....Thanks so far.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I know when mine was leaking, there were reminants of old gasket / seal stuck to both the top of the head and the cover, used a stanley knife blade to carefully scrape all the bits off and it didnt leak after that.