C4

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

C4

Post by rossnunn »

I went past the local Citroen dealership today and noticed a C4 in the show room so I spun round & went for a sit in job.

Now I have a problem, I'm a fan of the C4 anyway but this was the first time I have actually sat in one & now I really love them! :roll:
One thing I did notice that I rekon would p**s me off is how low the door hole is compared to the roof inside, I can see me cracking my nut on that a few times!
Mind you this was a 4 door version, if I were to have one it'd be a 3dr.

Also last night while looking round the Citroen website I found the mini site on the C6 & I have one word WOW! what a car! Both Mother & Dad have already said they want one to replace the Xant when it goes bang.
The attention to detail is stunning - can't wait to see one in the metal (or plastic)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I too find the C4 very attractive, and struggle not to go in and order a HDi 138 Coupe every time I go past the local dealer (just at the end of my road!) :roll:

However, my MiL has a C4 - a 1.6 5dr, and I drove it quite a bit last weekend. I am 6' and didn't find the low door line a problem - although I do remember thinking about when I went to the launch at the showroom, I didn't even notice it last weekend.

Generally the car is very nice to drive - pretty responsive and positive (although I wasn't trying that hard as I was only on my TP insurance, and it was foggy most of the time!). The driving position seemed very upright, with high seats, but I didn't fiddle with that except to push the seat back. I found the seats very comfortable - not too much lumbar 'support' which is a bugbear for me in most modern cars. In common with most modern cars, the windscreen / bonnet make a continuous line, which makes for a HUGE dash, and the windscreen being miles in front of you, and the A piller quite obtrusive - ou find yourself looking around them as you drive - although it's only really an issue at sharp junctions / roundabouts. I think this is going to be a feacture of all new cars though, to meet the NCAP pedestrian standards.

The fixed hub steering wheel is a bit odd at first, but you soon stop noticing it. I am not a particular fan of the digital speedo, nor the digital tacho - it's much harder to interpret than a big needle! The brakes are very fierce, and without feeling, so slowing gently takes a bit of getting used to - a bit like a BX with well sorted brakes I guess. The outside door handles are a bit of a triumph of design over function, and the return springs are not really strong enough, and the handles stick in the 'open' position, preventing the door closing. I suspect this will receive attention on later models, as it is very annoying! I liked the speed limiter - I think that would be a very useful feature when driving in unknown areas. Despite only being a 110 BHP 1.6, this car sat on 205/55/16 tyres, so the ride was a bit harsh, and there was quite a bit of tyre roar. Makes you realise just how good the hydraulic suspension is, even when it's not working to 100% as mine isn't!

I was disappointed with the engine though. I expected it to have a good turn of speed, but it lacked any real go, unless you screamed the nuts off it (and even then it wasn't a ball of fire) - to be fair it's done less than 3,000 miles, but I much prefer the lazy low rev torque of diesel engines. The Xantia 1.9TD felt faster when we got back home, and that feels way slow compared to the ZX TD. I'd love to have a go with the HDi 138 though...!!!

On reflection though, if the only real criticsm that you can level against it, is that the outside door handles don't work all that well, things can't be that bad!

Can't wait until they are 3 years old, out of warranty, and cheap! Electrics might be 'fun' by then though I suppose....!!
Richard W
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Also last night while looking round the Citroen website I found the mini site on the C6 & I have one word WOW! what a car! Both Mother & Dad have already said they want one to replace the Xant when it goes bang.
The attention to detail is stunning - can't wait to see one in the metal (or plastic)
Just imagine what is like sitting inside one... I don't have to, I've already sat in one! :D:twisted: :D
Oh joy!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

God damn you! lol

I got the brochure's through today for both the C4 & C6, so I can dribble that little bit more.

I have read that the C4, even the range topper isn't stunningly quick, which makes me wonder if either they are going to bring out a rip snorter version, or that peugeot have been fiddling again, they let that design slip through the net (406 Coupe/Xantia Coupe anyone??) & have restricted it from being better than the very ugly 307 in the engine department??

Oh & I just so happen to have a C4 steering wheel in a box at home, just needs the airbag & that'll find its way onto the ZX me thinks! lol
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

It strikes me that PSA are doing a similar thing with the Peugeot and Citroen names as VAG do with the Audi, Volkswagen and Skoda names. One becomes the premium brand (Peugeot, or Audi) and one becomes the pile-'em-high and sell-'em-cheap brand (Citroen or Volkswagen/Skoda)

Which is a great shame. I wonder how long it will be before all Citroen models have conventional suspension? I'll put money on the C5 replacement having springs and dampers.
This is not a signature.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I'll put money on the C5 replacement having springs and dampers.
:-# (insert a lot of cursing and swearing here)

Ross, i have a post around here from September, if i'm not mistaken, where i have links for the pictures i took of the C6 :D
It seems, from a post of a fellow member that the current models that offer a better track behaviour are the 2.2HDi C5 and C8, having the C4 VTR to go in 3rd place... *sigh*
Francisco
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

406 v6 yeh I remeamber.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

fastandfurryous wrote:It strikes me that PSA are doing a similar thing with the Peugeot and Citroen names as VAG do with the Audi, Volkswagen and Skoda names. One becomes the premium brand (Peugeot, or Audi) and one becomes the pile-'em-high and sell-'em-cheap brand (Citroen or Volkswagen/Skoda)

Which is a great shame. I wonder how long it will be before all Citroen models have conventional suspension? I'll put money on the C5 replacement having springs and dampers.
PSA & VAG have another thing running in common too, The amount of safety re-calls they have to issue :lol:

Any 307 or C4 owners, Expect that ABS unit catches fire safety re-call letter to drop through the letter box any day now :shock:

The rep at work has a 05 plate VW Touran TDI, Thats about to have its second safety re-call, This time for a flywheel replacment.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I think anyone who buys a modern PSA car eg 206, 307 C4, C5 must be a glutton for punishment as the scope for things to go badly wrong is frightening.

Paul.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Is a C4 estate on the cards , any photos any where.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I think not.
From what i've been reading over the net (and i may be looking at the wrong sources :P) Citroëns is allowed to continue the Picasso while Peugeot keeps the stations in the segment with the 307SW.
Bugger :(
Francisco
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

but the C5 estate so sooo much better looking than the Pug.
I have seen a pic of a C4 estate but I think that was a photoshop.
There seems to be a few things happening at PSA, Peugeot are pushing the full length glass roof & metal folding roof where as Citroen are putting out some nice designs.
Makes you wonder if there as been a staff shuffle & the design team have moved from Pug to Citroen & the technophobes from Citroen are now at Pug
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think there is an intention to keep them separate and different. C6 is no badge engineered Peugeot nor are the others except C1

Saxo was badge engineered but this sector of the market is not very profitable and the carsh testing standards killed the AX - so it was a quick replacement for AX and 106 that would crash satisfactorily. Citroen now have C2 and C3.

C1/107/Mitsubishi is a different matter and of course is down to economies of scale and competing with Koreans/Chinese et al. This is a very high tech venture and includes an engine to be shared with BMW and in parts is likely to be with us for 25 years or so. I think what must be accepted is that it is state of the art and is competitive now rather than being a reskinned horror that we English have becomed so used to.

I don't think the future is that bleak.
jeremy