1998 Xantia 1.9TD Aircon Radiator replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

1998 Xantia 1.9TD Aircon Radiator replacement

Post by rpaco »

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the radiator on this model.

It leaked and it had Radewld which fixed it, but then a few days later it got cold and I had to drain off quite a bit to put antifreeze in at 40% mix. So radweld now very diluted.

The Haynes manual makes it sound simple but in practice there is an intercooler radiator attached in front of the main one, does his come off? if so how? Or does the repalcement part include both?

The manual blythly says disconnect hoses. I can only see the top one which goes INSIDE the plastic spigot!!!! to connect and has a circlip. I can just touch the bottom one wiht the end of a finger. The aircon pipes and cannister are all in the way. A fleeting glimpse of the bottom hose through a tiny gap tells me that it also goes INSIDE a spigot.

There is also ONE small hose on the side although Haynes says TWO.

I cant see a temperature sensor on it anywhere though Haynes says it's ont one side.

Though it (the radiator) unclips and the top can be leant back it only moves about an inch and the space revealed is filled by the interclooler radiator (which I assume does not contain any water, is that right?)
I have tried to take out the headlight to get a better access but it doesn't really help.

Someone must have done this, please advise. If it's possible without an arm only 1 inch in dia with 3 joints and a power attachment.

:?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's been a while, but IIRC, the easy way is to remove the crossmember which goes over the rad and intercooler, then there's a lot more space to work in.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Had to this on my 1996 Xantia,
just unclip all the hoses that are attached to the radiator (you will need to work underneath for this too), then theres two clips at the top holding it in position, undo these and thats it.......well lots of upward strength and a variation of tilting movements to get it out.....careful of the bottom hose on the left (drivers side) oh that was a big to pull back into position with plenty of naughty words :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

dnsey wrote:It's been a while, but IIRC, the easy way is to remove the crossmember which goes over the rad and intercooler, then there's a lot more space to work in.
Yes I thought of that but it seems to be a huge piece which is riveted to a lower plate on each side. The centre bit is easy but just reveals the fans andnot much else.
Does the intercooler radiator unclip from the main radiator?
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mezuk04 wrote:Had to this on my 1996 Xantia,
just unclip all the hoses that are attached to the radiator (you will need to work underneath for this too), then theres two clips at the top holding it in position, undo these and thats it.......well lots of upward strength and a variation of tilting movements to get it out.....careful of the bottom hose on the left (drivers side) oh that was a big to pull back into position with plenty of naughty words :oops:
How do these hoses work that go inside the spigots? Do they come out easily? do they have an O ring seal or something?

Do you have to detach the intercooler radiator first ?(if it does detach) before trying to pull the whole lot out?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

According to the parts database, all the 1.9s were fitted with radiators that had conventional hose over spigot arrangements, only the 2.1 had the pipe in spigot type connectors. Maybe yours has had a 2.1 raditor fitted, or maybe they just randomly changed the design (they do that from time to time!). I think they are the same as the ZX hoses, and to get them off, you have to rotate a plastic clip around the pipe. Fit a new o-ring when putting it back on. There should be 4 hoses on the radiator - main inlet and outlet, a small bleed hose from the top LH side, and a pipe from near the bottom RH that runs to the oil cooler. There will be no temperature sender as this is fitted to the thermostat housing - you may well find a blanking plug in the radiator under the top hose that needs to be swapped to the new rad. To get it out, remove the intercooler inlet outlet pipes, then tha radiator pipes - to get the bottom one you will need to remove the engine under tray if it's still there. Then lift the radiator and intercooler out as one. Separate the two (IIRC the intercooler just lifts off the radiator once it's out), clean the dead leaves etc out of the intercooler, put them back together and the refit to the car. Bleed the system well, using a header tank to get the water high enough! If your rad is looking non standard, it might be better to get it out first, then take it to the factors for comparison.
Richard W
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I believe all late 1.9TD Xantias had the 2.1TD radiator fitted. This radiator has 'clip' fitting plastic pipe ends. There are other engine ancillaries that were standardised between the two TD engines around this time. My '97 estate has these updates and your '98 certainly will.

The rad clips are excellent when new. Over time the bottom hose connection will corrode and jam itself in. Typical, as there is very little space to get to this pipe with aircon. I had to cut the bottom corner off the old rad to remove my bottom pipe - it was a real bugger, totally corroded in.

Whatever you do, clean this bottom connector up perfectly or it'll never clip back in the new rad properly. And then some miles down the road it'll leak - mine did :evil:

Believe me, worrying about the lack of room to remove the rad and the intercooler position will be the last of your problems. Fitting is tight (very tight) but the rad and intercooler will seperate before removal.

Do a search, I've mentioned this before when others have done the same job; there may be more tips to be read.

Forgot to mention: the hose ends are just a tight fit. No ring seal. Examine the top one before attacking the bottom - you'll be able to see clearly how they fit and how the clip holds them in. They are just a push fit, I think - no twisting. My bottom hose was eventually fitted by a VERY NICE AA MAN. He spent three hours cleaning up the hose end and fitting it together after I didn't do it properly and lost my coolant! In the end, he fitted the hose in and then inserted the clip. I'd have done it myself but I knew by then what a sod of a job it was. Give him his due, I'd have given up long before he did!
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Any ideas on how to get the bottom hose back in the new rad?

I have cleaned the end up as much as I can. But it needs to be pushed in very hard indeed to force the double O ring seal in.

There is virtually no access even from underneath. I have the wheel and arch cover off too! The aircon pipes block most of the top access and they seen to have gone out of their way to make it as difficult as possible. I fear that if I make a tool to exert enought leverage on the hose end it will crack the rad stub.
I have coated the inside with silicone grease to help it slide but to no avail.

If there is a secret please reveal. 3 hours so far trying to get the bottom hose in.
cheers
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Ok dont worry. I've done it! After nearly lifting myself off the ground on two fingers hooked over it, it suddenly went in. the top one almost fellin itself by comparison.

Fingers crossed now to see if it leaks. I have filled it with water and run it up to temperature ok. No leaks that i could see. Left it running for about 10 mins with the thermostat open. Then drained it again and refilled with antifreeze/water.(after leaving it about an hour to cool down.)

Thanks to everyone for their advice
cheers :D
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Glad you managed it! That bottom hose really is a sod. The access to it is really poor and you just can't get the angle to push or to pull. Not until you break your wrist that is :lol:
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...