Is My Turbocharger on its way out ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Is My Turbocharger on its way out ??

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

I dont know if this is a problem or not,but I dont like the look of it.
Today upon renewing my alternator/steering pump auxillary ribbed belt I was looking about the rest of the engine bay as you do and found something that maybe a sign of something going to fail in the near future.
What i found was some engine oil that over a considerable period of time seems have been weeping from the intercooler pipe where it it connects to the intercooler.This appears to be on the 'compressor to intercooler' side of the turbo,which seems to me to indicate perhaps(please,please tell me if I'm wrong of course) that the compressor side turbo bearings are letting oil by.
Now ther'e no other signs from the turbo that anything is wrong.The car pulls strongly as I believe it should do for this car.The car doesn't drink excessive ammounts of oil at all.
Am I looking at obtaining another turbocharger :cry:
Is there some sort of pressure/leak by test that I maybe able to to to prove anything?
Much appreciated for any help on this issue.Thanks Steve :cry:
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont think it's that bad.

All recent modern cars I've fiddled with are quite dirty with oil on the intake side. This is because of pollution regulations where oil fumes must be lead into the engine combustion to reduce pollution.

Result is often dripping oil from dismantled air intake components. Things gets worse as some of the fume hoses has a tendency to clogg with mayonnaise and then oil mist may very well reach the intake.

A dead turbo will tell you when time comes. And it will be either CLOUDS of white smoke from vapourised engine (i.e. turbo seal) oil into the exhaust on the hot side.
Or a very gutless engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

"They all do that sir" :lol:

If there's no other problems I wouldn't worry. My current Xantia was doing this slightly when I bought it five & a half years ago - its still doing it now & its never got any worse.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with the above, the turbo shaft seal is more likely to go on the exhaust side producing clouds of blue smoke. There is always some oil mist present in the air intake as explained above but this can increase considerably as the engine starts to wear so with the mileage that most diesels of that age have covered its inevitable.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

O.K ,so its not as bad as it seems then.Thanks for your replies.
Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I kept finding oil in the intercooler pipes, leaking from the inlet manifold, obviously coming from the turbo?? but its no indication of wear, they really do "All do that"
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.