C5 HDI anti-pollution fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

C5 HDI anti-pollution fault

Post by 406 V6 »

It's time i ask for some help. I swear i searched for this subject here.

I was going happily on the C5 today at around 130kms/h (ah, just love the cruise-control :D ) on a motorway on my way back home, a small 65kms (both ways) highway journey.
So, at around km 40, engine and "service" light on, beep and the "Anti-pollution Fault" message appeared.
Got home, parked for an hour or so, then had to go again. The fault was still there. All this time, the engine was responsive as always.
Reached my destination 15 minutes later and had the car parked for another hour. Switched the ignition on and the fault was gone.
Should i worry? I don't believe it's the cat and i don't have a FAP filter...

Many thanks fellas ;)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Could be loads of things,off the top of my head check for water ingress/corrsion on the airflow meter,check for split turbo/intercooler pipes,check turbo pressure sensor small pipe that links it to the intercooler (i dont know if you have a 90 or 110),check for holes in the intercooler,check all the glow plugs work & that they are not shorting,check all the sensor connections (especially on the HP fuel pump & on the fuel rail).i also would not suspect the cat as the ECU doesent really have any way of monitoring this unless it has FAP.
these are some checks you could do but if they are OK the i wouldnt worry about it unless the light comes back on.does your ECU have the latest software in it ?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Will check those items out, thanks Wheeler.
I asked for an upgrade some 3 weeks ago when i went to change brake pads, but they told me if the car as fine, there was no need to upgrade. So, the latest version i have is from around February 2005 or so.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
CitroenNuts
My Cars:

Post by CitroenNuts »

I had the same fault, The Stealer said it was the cat but I wasn't happy to pay the Strealer price and had one fitted by Kwik Fit for half the price but 4 time the trouble the light kept coming on as even with a new cat citroen blamed the fact it was aftermarket. but thanks to the help form other members I had a lambda bypass sleave fitted and seems fine since and just pass her MOT so must be ok :wink:

I just hope yours isn't as much pain there was times i could have just got rid of it but still love the car
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Your car is a petrol though,the HDi has no way of monitoring the cat (unless it is fitted with FAP) as there are no sensors in the exhaust.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

I know mine's a petrol one, but I had the same symptoms.

It was repaired under guarantee. It was the EGR air pump, which when it went, took a 30 amp fuse with it.

I've no idea if diesel has an air pump in the EGR, but for what it's worth......

Jamie
My other car is a motorbike: Honda VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 800 Fi
Current car: C5 Petrol 2.0 Exclusive Auto SE
Past cars: Xantia 2.0 Exclusive, Xantia SX, BX 19 GTi (possibly the best car I've ever owned), Visa GT etc etc
Oh, and my son's the proud owner of a Saxo VTR!
fatboyslimfast

Post by fatboyslimfast »

The Elios fluid may be low, the fluid injected into the FAP filter - any good dealer could check it's level for you and advise on refilling the tank - it ain't cheap though.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

allmond wrote:
I've no idea if diesel has an air pump in the EGR, but for what it's worth......
The Diesel doesent have an air pump (Which has nothing to do with EGR by the way,its for heating up the cat quicker).
fatboyslimfast- 406 V6's car doesent have a FAP system.