Removing Xantia ABS Sensors (with out breaking them)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Removing Xantia ABS Sensors (with out breaking them)

Post by Nomad »

Hi all

Ok i need 2 new ABS sensors front left and rear right (from sitting inside the car).
There is a Xantia in the breakers yard which i have been raiding, it also has the sensors i need, what are my chances of removing these sensors with out breaking them? and also any tips on this procedure would be most helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

no i would not bother not much chance of getting them out,try gsfcarparts.com for some non gen ones :wink:
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I agree, most of them get damaged taking them of. It might be worth an extra visit to soak them in oil before removing them, which I have managed to do on some of them. They are expensive? about £40 but do check that price.
Cheers!
John
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Thanks for the replys guys

Bloody hell, they are expensive for what they are :shock:
Rear = 56.50
Front = 68.50
Total 125.oo + VAT

Unless i am looking in the wrong place on GSF site.

I think i will have ago at getting them out of the car in the breakers yard first, i have nothing to loose.

What tools do i need to take with me, to make the job nice and easy? also any advice on how they come out.

Many Thanks

Tony
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

:o I missed a pair of rears ofr the ZX on eBay, they were brand new & went for £1.50!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not usualy the sensor itself that gives up,its normaly the cable that fractures where it is flexed on the rear where susp arm pivots and fronts where the susp leg rotates every time you turn the steering,a tv engineer freind of mine has repared them on a 405,he located the break in the cable cut it open rejoined it bobs your aunty dodahs your uncle
regards malcolm
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

You may be right, all i have to go on, is the computer Citroen connected the car to said 2 sensors have gone and which ones :?

Tony
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

So, a continuity test is the answer? How do you do the reading and measure that?
Cheers!
John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

trace the leads from the sensors to the plugs,then unplug one put an ohm meter across the two pins in the plug of the lead coming from the sensor,this is the most direct point to test them
regards malcolm
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

You can find a bit about it in this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=14392
The site mentioned in my post has moved:
http://81.216.240.206/citroen/XANTIA/fels_abs.html

By the way, it is not allways the cable that fails; on my front ABS sensor the core of the sensor had corroded and expanded the plastic bobbin enough to break the very thin wire inside the sensor. Just like described (in swedish) here:
http://81.216.240.206/citroen/XANTIA/rep_av_abs.html

The fix was to open the sensor, unwind the wire, fix the bobbin, rewind the wire and seal the sensor using epoxy. I did that more than half a year ago and it is still working fine.

Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but dont they put salt on the road in sweeden by the lorry load,if so this may cause the pole sensor to rot
regards malcolm
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Ok here is an update on this.

I went to the breakers yard this morning to get the sensors from the car, i was there yesterday to soak them all in WD-40.

Bearing in mind my car is a left hand drive.
The front drivers side was already damaged This was where the car has had a big crash.
The 2 rear ones were imposiible to get out with out breaking them (all work was done from a ladder as the car is sitting 2 meters up on a shelving system), i did try to ease them out nice and slowly then the black plastic surround broke away :cry:

The only one i got with no damage was the front passenger side.

I need the front drivers side
Now are the sensors on the front the same? or are they handed?
Looking on the GSF website it just says Front and rear.
If they are the same and providing it works i have saved my self 60 odd quid, i only paid 1.50 for the sensor :)

Thanks for your help on this.

Tony
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

As far as I can tell, right and left sensors are identical, but according to the local price list I've got, the front sensors come in three variants (->7/94, 7/94-11/97 and 11/97->) and the rear sensors come in two variants (->11/97 and 11/97->).

I don't think there are much difference electrically and if you can get it to fit with the same gap between cog and sensor as before, it should work fine.

Søren.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I think folks here end up replacing the co-axial cable then sealing it all up with heatshrink, I tried to remove sensors too, they are just too fragile.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Ok thanks guys

Tony