Xantia 1.9 TD Exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 TD Exhaust

Post by soupy_sam »

Are there any tips on changing the spring clamp and gasket on manifold downpipe to front pipe of exhaust.

Mine is leaking and the bolts seem to be seazed solid.
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Buy an exhaust fitting kit and replace the bolts springs and the big ring seal, at least it will be easier going back together, I always struggle with these things even using quarter drive sockets , long extensions etc, top tip when you get the new bolts get someone to weld a bit of steel bar to the heads to stop them turning, makes em much easier.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Sucess

Post by soupy_sam »

Managed to do it, took air filter pipes off and the small gear linkage and lowered angle grinder down to cut one of the bolts, junior hacksaw for the other.

Needed three hands to put new bolts on with only enough space for one hand :oops: managed in the end with lots of xxxx words
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've done this job three times now, and not had any trouble apart from the first time. The first time around, I didn't remove the undertray and tried doing it from the top, this is a critical mistake.

If you get the car well jacked up (chocked / supported by axle stands too) so you've got good room underneath, you can easilly do it single handed from underneath. If you put the exhaust pipe in place and stick a piece of wood between it and the front subframe that will hold the pipe in place whilst you put the bolts in. It's a bit fidly but with the undertray out of the way its easy enough to do.

I didn't replace any of the bolts or springs but the first time I did it I was trying from the top, undertray in place and dropped a washer and lost it. I had to remove the pipe again on that car to replace the sealing ring, and second time around, from underneath the job was easy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hope you used the proper woven wire sealing ring,otherwise you will be doing the job again in two to three weeks time,as this joint is ment to pivot with engine movment,i have fixed several of these for my customers who have had them replaced at exhaust bodge shops,then few weeks later come to me to fix exhaust blow,and i find that exhaust bodge shops tend to use the fibre sealing ring,and it breaks up in a short time
regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The sealing ring I used was a metal one, made out of something that looked not unlike woven wire wool with an "unknown" filler material.

The first time I changed one, I couldn't get the original one off to begin with and after a bit of poking at it I realised how resiliant they are, pretty tough stuff. Once you realise what shape they are and work out how to get them off they're really easy to do. It took me ages to work out how to get it off because access isn't good and you can't really see where the turbo ends and the gasket begins and I didn't want to hammer a lump of turbo housing off!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Kowalski wrote:an "unknown" filler material
Are they still allowed to use asbestos ? :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389