Just fitted accumulator sphere to my XM.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robbocop33

Just fitted accumulator sphere to my XM.....

Post by robbocop33 »

Thanks guys for all you earlier replies and suggestions that it was the sphere,it was!Everything is great now,after an unbelievable amount of bleeding!I bled it about 13,14 times,nothing,Hydraulic pressure warning still showing,no steering,anything,left car in the huff,went back after cup of tea,bled it again and suddenly i heard fluid starting to rush around,weehee i said gleefully getting up and kicking over my full container of LHM fluid!,got up,the hydraulic level had gone down in the tank,tentatively peered at the dash,the stop light was out!Bled it lots more when on the high setting everything is great!So by my experiences and for some others benefit don't give up,they can take an awful lot of bleeding before anything happens!Also,it took me all of 5 minutes to get the Accumulator sphere off,i was dreading it.I decided to go at it underneath with a 10 inch narrow chisel at an angle,negotiating through the loops of pipes,hitting at the lower seam where it screws on(not the centre seam on the sphere) and it came off with a couple of hard clouts!Well chuffed.Thanks again for all your help!
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

only use citroen lhm fluid pumps dont like non genuine fluid especially if pump is starting to get weak,take feed pipe off resevoir put a funnel in it and gravity feed the pump :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You dont normally have to bleed it after fitting an accumulator sphere, I thnk it must have sucked some air in somehow.
robbocop33

Post by robbocop33 »

Yeah Peter,as i was telling you on another forum when i bought the car i looked underneath there were 4!unions loose leaking fluid,god knows how long the car had been driven like that but that must have sucked in some air,i think:-/
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

pugxpert wrote:only use citroen lhm fluid pumps dont like non genuine fluid especially if pump is starting to get weak,take feed pipe off resevoir put a funnel in it and gravity feed the pump :wink:
No such thing as "Citroen LHM fluid" exists. Total oil company makes a mineral oil based fluid named LHM plus spec'ed for Citroen hydraulic cars. And so does dozens of other oil companies. All are genuine LHM fluids.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The only place air can be sucked into the system is between the reservoir and the pump. The pump's sole function is to pump LHM at enormous pressure and there's no way any air could get in as there are no 'Suck' phases anywhere.

Gas can enter the system from a deflating sphere. One oadvantage of the BX system collapsing overnight is that it has a purching effect and when the LHM retruns to the reservoir it takes any leaked gas with it.

Not wishing to seem a forteller of doom I used to have trouble getting the car to pick up pressure after opening the syetem. I used to turn the steering, try the brakes tec and evevntually something would happen. I eventually found I had a faulty FDV and on repair suddenly everything was fine, close the pressure releif screw - at starts to make the right noises and rises just like after a cold start.
jeremy
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i know ,the lhm is made by total but there are some other brands out there which are not as good!! we had some stuff from mobil and a car with a slightly weak hp pump found car would not lift