zx 1.9D cutting out.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

zx 1.9D cutting out.

Post by alanshep »

Hello. I have an 8 mile journey to work. The last mile is fast dual carriageway, uphill to start and then a long down hill bit.

I got to the top of the uphill section in 4th gear and went to change to 5th. As soon as it was out of gear the engine cut out. I put it into 5th and rolled down the hill and the engine restarted.

The engine ran fine for the rest of the journey to work although there was a smell of burning from under the bonnet.

I'm thinking I've probably got a fuel supply problem (there's plenty in the tank) - maybe filter?

Not sure about the burning smell. The headlights were on at the time. Could 'bumping' the car have caused the alternator belt to slip momentarily to cause the smell? (it was that sort of smell).

ZX 1.9D 1994.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Not sure about the burning smell but is your fuel filter clean? Early stages of clogging are often noticed when the engine is under stress - like when climbing a hill fast.
jeremy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Burning smell couldnt be something like the clutch slipping when bump starting it?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would go with Jeremy and say the filter. I havn't had this problem recently but my CX would do that at almost the same mileage every time, twice when we were on holiday in Scotland!