poor starting(again!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have thought about this......I have changed my mind! The bulb is there only to prime the filter housing in which there is already plenty of fuel to start any car. The pressure for the injectors is produced by the injector pump. Mine does suffer from the same problem if left for a few days, otherwise starts OK.
I suggest that the feed from the pump to the injectors is under constant pressure but will reduce over a longer period of not being used suggesting that whatever keeps the pressure in that line is at fault......can anyone take this further witha better understanding of injector pumps?

I think you will be wasting your time replacing the bulb.
Cheers!
John
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have thought about this......I have changed my mind! The bulb is there only to prime the filter housing in which there is already plenty of fuel to start any car. The pressure for the injectors is produced by the injector pump. Mine does suffer from the same problem if left for a few days, otherwise starts OK.
I suggest that the feed from the pump to the injectors is under constant pressure but will reduce over a longer period of not being used suggesting that whatever keeps the pressure in that line is at fault......can anyone take this further witha better understanding of injector pumps?

If the return pipe is at fault could you please tell me why this is the fault as I can not see it (Doh!)

I think you will be wasting your time replacing the bulb.
Cheers!
John
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The problem here is NOT the primer bulb. If, when pumped, it goes hard, then the one way valves are working just fine.

The problem is a split in a fuel pipe somewhere between the tank and the injection pump letting in air. If it's a bosch injection pump, then it could also be a leak in one of the leakoff pipes between the injectors (as this lets air into the fuel retun hose, and eventually to the injection pump.

As mr pugxpert suggests a particular point on this car, then that would be the first place to look.
This is not a signature.
Mark Dunmore
My Cars:

Post by Mark Dunmore »

Does sound very much like split fuel pipe. The culprit is the one near the front footwell (am assuming this is a relatively early 1.9TD). Pipe cracks and splits, lets air in, and causes poor starting. Because the air gets in over a period of several hours, everyone assumes glow plugs, because it resembles that fault! (engine cold). After much churning, the fuel fills the pipe again, and the engine starts, usually with the same misfire as...you've guesssed, glow plug failure! Subsequent start-ups after a short period of time are OK, so assumption is that it's related to starting from cold! Splits are only very slight, so you won't see fuel gushing out, but bend the pipe slightly and you should see them. Pipe comes as both supply and return attached to one another.

Of course, cheap rubbish glow plugs are a false economy; seen enough people come in with the complaint "but I only fitted new glow plugs a few months ago..."
suzie

Post by suzie »

Thanks to everybody who replied,it's very much appreciated.I've started my car the last couple of days by pumping the primer bulb till it's hard then running the glow plugs twice.The car starts first time when I do this.It's not ideal,but at least starts the car.Thanks again.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Suze, It still sounds as though your car is drawing in air from somewhere.. putting some thick high melting point grease over the fuel pipe joints, one by one, until the car starts easily. should locate the leak.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The injection pump produces high pressure pulses of fuel, four pulses for each pump revolution (or four pulses every two engine revolutions), it does not maintain any pressure once the engine is stopped.

If left over a long period of time say two or three days and you have starting problems, the starting characteristics can give a clue as to where to look.

If there is a flat refusal to start i.e wont fire at all then the leak is almost certainly in the return lines.

If the engine fires and runs breifly then stalls and wont start without priming or lots of cranking, then the leak is in the supply lines.

Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Suzie,
I had the same problem on my Xantia.
Follow the fuel pipe back from the primer pump bulb towards the bulkhead. You will find that the fuel pipe bends downwards, this is where the rubber pipe decays, it is very common on fault. GSF don't sell the part but if you ask you will get at least 10% discount at citroen.
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,