Worrying problem with steering on my XM2.0 TURBO(petrol)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robbocop33

Worrying problem with steering on my XM2.0 TURBO(petrol)

Post by robbocop33 »

This seems to be the better of my two XM,s(where does all that petrol go?) but theres been a slightly worrying thing started lately,sometimes when maybe going around a corner the steering will hesitate to turn at all for a second!seems to hit a really heavy spot then it will pass with a little force and become light and normal again?It doesn't happen all the time,at the exact point of turning the wheel but just every now and again,its quite frightening when it happens and i'm worried abou tmy wife driving this to her work!Anyone have any ideas?I've heard in the past about turning the steering on full lock with enging running,then releasing pressure release screw,then tightening,then opposite full lock and bleeding again from the valve,at what height setting should i do this if any?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

First, check that the hydraulic pump belt is not slipping, and get a diesel one they are much more economical!
robbocop33

Post by robbocop33 »

I have a diesel too!I got the diesel for more fuel economy but i liked the 2.0 turbo so much i've hung onto it too!:-)I'll check the belt.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Does the problem sound like the following.

The steering goes stiff when turning, and a bit of force or backing of the turn then turning again solves the problem.

Does this happen when manouvering / driving at low / higher speeds?

If this sounds familiar, it could be the internal seals in your power steering ram giving up, resulting in pressured hydraulic fluid sneeking past the ram's cylinder and causing hydraulic lock.

Since this fault can cause the steering to lock solid, inially a lower speeds to start with, then at higher speeds as it degenerates further, I would recommend finding out if it's the cause ASAP, just in case.

Fingers crossed it's your belt slipping.
ZX TD Volcane 133k
Several bikes (for when the car don't go)
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. So when you do judge him, you will be a mile away and have his shoes.