Xantia Aux Drive Belt Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Aux Drive Belt Change

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Looking in the Haynes BOL the picture of how the belt runs is the same as the 2.1. does this make it more difficult?

What do i need to help make this an easier job tool wise, and has anybody got some tips to help me along?
Thanks for your help.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The first thing I would do is don't trust the belt layouts in the Haynes book !! Draw your own threading diagram as you remove the old belt.

I relate this from learning the hard way after refitting the belt on Dad's 2.0i 8 valve petrol only to find that NONE of the diagrams in the book were even remotely like what was actually on the car.

(You might be a bit more lucky with a 1.9TD)

I spent an hour and a half trying the belt in every conceivable threading arrangement until I found the right one - my excuse is it wasn't me that took if off, but even if it was, the layout can be quite deceptive, and I wouldn't have remembered it unless I'd drawn a diagram anyway.

The other main issue is just access - its very tight there, on the petrol model there isn't even enough room to get the belt down the side of the engine without twisting it sideways to clear the body...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

My 1.9TD also has the same tensioners as in the 2.1 BOL pictures, so i don't have a manual tensioner just auto. How does this work? BOL says to pull the auto tensioner away using 3/8" socket handle then insert right angled bar into locating hole to hole auto tensioner away, how big should this bar be?

Then it says to undo the eccentric roller, what size is the Allen key and how do you get any room to get your hand down there?
Then to refit i need another bar to hold through the eccentric roller while i re-tighten it?

thanks for your help.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Gav,

Try this post http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight= . It should contain all the information that you need.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

gav425 wrote:My 1.9TD also has the same tensioners as in the 2.1 BOL pictures, so i don't have a manual tensioner just auto. How does this work? BOL says to pull the auto tensioner away using 3/8" socket handle then insert right angled bar into locating hole to hole auto tensioner away, how big should this bar be?
Ok, sounds like you have the same/similar auto tensioner as the petrol engine. Basically its a spring loaded arm with the roller on the end. Near the bottom (pivot) end it has a square hole that you can insert a 3/8" socket drive into (you'll need a short extension) and turn it with a bar or large ratchet to release the tension on the belt.

When you turn it to a certain point a hole in the turning section will line up with a hole in the stationary section, and you should insert a "bar" into this hole to lock the position. I can't remember what size it is but its somewhere between 6-10mm, and you can just use the shank of an appropriate sized drillbit or an allen key if you dont have a bar of the right side.

Because the object you insert in the hole is under a lot of shear stress you can't use soft steel, you need something that is hardened which is why I suggest a drillbit shank or allen key.

Once its locked you can then remove the two bolts that bolt the tensioner onto the engine housing and remove it, allowing you to remove the belt.
Then it says to undo the eccentric roller, what size is the Allen key and how do you get any room to get your hand down there?
Then to refit i need another bar to hold through the eccentric roller while i re-tighten it?

thanks for your help.
You can't remove the belt from the top only, you need access from the wheel arch as well. You'll have to jack the car up, take off the front right wheel, and remove the plastic wheel arch cover, this reveals most of the bottom half of the engine including the tensioner. (At least if its like the petrol)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive