Anyone give a step by step to replacing each shere on XM?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robbocop33

Anyone give a step by step to replacing each shere on XM?

Post by robbocop33 »

Hi,i just want to know a definitive step by step guide to the differences between replacing different spheres on a 1993 XM 2.1td.The exact procedure,and also running the Hydraflush through the system and bleeding the brakes.Thanks,Lee.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Start with the front top ones, there the easiest. You will need a strong chain wrench, not an oil filter type, that will probably break at the first hurdle. The front ones shouldn't be to difficult as they are away from the weather and dont tend to corrode. Put the chainwrench round the sphere, making sure you havn't got it caught on any thing that will jam it, pull hard-anticlockwise-looking from the top until you feel the sphere move, you may need an extention handle to get enough leverage. Once the sphere has moved, Put the car on its lowest suspension setting to depressurise the system, once the car has settled , leave for a minute or to, to allow complete depressurisation and unscrew the sphere the rest of the way, you will probably find you can do this by hand. When fitting the new one, smear the thread with a little grease and screw on hand tight only.

Repeat the procedure with the other five starting with the outer rear ones, these are the next most difficult. The hardest ones will be the centre suspension spheres as not only are they difficult to get at but also difficult to depressurise, someone on here will probably be able to tell you how to do it but I havn't found an effective way yet. Becuase they are under pressure you will have to unscrew them with the wrench most of the way and be prepared for loss of a quantity of fluid.

If a sphere proves really stubborn, as a last resort they can be removed by applying a chisel and large hammer to the seam around the middle in the appropriate position and direction.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Should be close to the same as a Xantia ... Only with appalling access :lol:

Does this help ??

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/xantia ... pheres.htm

I either use a chisel to remove the spheres or a home made strap wrench.

All I did was weld a small length of metal bar into a 32mm socket, the bolt some seatbelt webbing to the length of metal. This allow a HUGE amount of leverage using a 1/2" breakers bar (The 1/2" socket bar is about 1metre long :shock: ).

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)