HDi mod. Plausible or a bit of bully?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

HDi mod. Plausible or a bit of bully?

Post by drpau »

I stumbled across a 'modification' while I was browsing another forum and it said that on the HDi engine, the fuel injection pump has 2 pistons that work at low revs and a third which comes in to play as rev's rise, apparently if you unplug an orange connector from the top of the fuel injection pump then this 3rd piston is enabled at low revs and therfore the car feels more responsive at low revs. Anyone heard of this, Im a bit sceptical myself..an old wives tale? Surely disconnecting a connector is not a good thing?
:roll:
CHeers

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

i've heard of this toooo, i actually know somebody who did it on another forum, and he said he noticed no difference, i aint got round to unplugging mine yet.

David.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I think you'll find that revs have nothing to do with the actuation of the third pump piston. In normal operation all three pistons are used, but if the system goes over-pressure., the third piston is de-activated to reduce the amount of fuel returned from the fuel rail, and reduce the load on the pump and belts.

making the third piston operate all the time will simply increase the amount of fuel returned from the injection rail, and incease the pumping losses on the engine. Kinda pointless....
This is not a signature.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it is actually directly proportional to engine speed.when idling the pump operates on 3 pistons.from 2/3 of full load up to full load the pump operates on 3 pistons.when not idling & below 2/3 of full load.the pump operates on 2 pistons.it also automatically onto 2 pistons if the fuel temp goes above 106 degrees C.
if you disconected it then it is likely that the engine managemet light would come on also.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

surely you've just described it being related to engine load rather than speed?

Which would indeed make sense, as I'm sure that it matters not what the engine speed is, more the amount of fuel required.
This is not a signature.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I unplugged mine several thousand miles ago. Very little change really, but I have a powerbox.

Might put it back and see if I notice anything.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

fastandfurryous wrote:surely you've just described it being related to engine load rather than speed?
which i would say is directly proportional to the engine speed.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

How can engine speed and engine load be proportional? The two are independent variables.

it's entirely possible to have almost any load at any engine speed.
This is not a signature.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

So to sum it then, its not going to make any difference unplugging it?
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i would say you are definetly making it worse at low engine rpm as by disconnecting it the 2 pistons in hp pump will will be working overtime,plug it back in asap :wink: