remote central locking and alarm on zx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

coppertop

remote central locking and alarm on zx

Post by coppertop »

The remote central locking and alarm on my zx has suddenly stopped working. I have fitted new batteries and when you press the fob the little light operates in the fob but the car won't lock and the alarm wont set. The central locking works fine with the key in the door and the fuses seem ok, it is fuse F4 25 amp according to haynes. Any ideas please :?:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its probably the remote transmitter itself, they can be a bit fragile. You can have a look inside if you have good eyesight and see if anything has come unsoldered from the circuit board, or , if you get a secondhand one I think you can reprogramme them on the ZX. I have no doubt someone on here will tell you how.
coppertop

Post by coppertop »

thanks Peter, I have tried my spare remote and it still doesn't work. Any more ideas?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah! Is it an infra red remote? if so the reciever is usually mounted behind the interior light, at least it is on most other Citroens. I dont know if they ever used a radio remote on the ZX, my XM has a radio remote and the reciever is mounted under the glovebox, that would be your next port of call. I suppose the haynes manual doesn't tell you where it is, probably not, that would be to useful!

I suppose that your other remote was working OK before? I have an IR sensitive card that I use for checking TV remotes, but that doesn't help you a lot. I think you can test them by holding them near an ordinary MW radio, you should hear it operate.

I had this problem with my XM and eventually got a secondhand matching key fob and reciever and with mine it was the reciever that was faulty.
coppertop

Post by coppertop »

yes they are ir, it was working fine upto a few weeks ago and it just packed in, so you are probably correct that its the receiver( i have just spent the last 3 hours trawling the old postings).

So my next question is can I just get a second hand receiver and re programme the plip or do I have to have the matching plip with the receiver?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you can reprogramme the plip but I am afraid I dont know how, I am sure someone on here will tell you. There is a string about it on here somwhere.