ZX TD Not getting up to temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

ZX TD Not getting up to temperature

Post by wilkobob »

ZX TD, just had new radiator (before we got it) and have fitted a new coolant bottom hose, and a new thermostat. The radiator does not get hot. No hot water in there at all. Blowers only get luke warm, but temperature gauge reads just under 90. Any clues?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Sounds like the system needs all the air bleeding out of it.. make sure you bleed via the lil valve next door to where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead, looking from the front, its two hoses on the left (in front of the driver) and high up. The valve is next to them..

The other options are, blockage in a pipe or main waterway, the water pump has failed.. or the water is escaping somewhere :(
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If the water is escaping then it would be leaking/dripping somewhere which we can safely say their is no sign of this.

System has been fully bled up as far as im aware! did it a couple of times this morning.

We considered water pump also, well were hoping on getting the car booked in next thursday for a cam belt change and that glow plug we coulnt get out so also get the water pump done also i guess.

We were quoted about £60 for belt, £15 for the glowplug, any ideas on how much and tricky it is for the water pump so we have an idea of how much we are going to be spending?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Mez. Before you do that remove the thermostat again. Take the top hose off the rad, stick a hosepipe into the pipe with a rag round it to help seal it a bit, then turn the tap on. You should get water coming out the top of the rad where the hose fitted, then put the hosepipe in the rad and repeat the process. That should ensure that the waterways are clear..

Next, Put the pipe and thermostat back, refill and bleed it again.. Start it up and see if you get any heat anywhere, heater matrix should get warm fairly quickly, the thermostat should open and top hose get hot in a few mins, closely followed by the radiator warming up.. If that doesn't happen, then I think it's a pump problem.. :( :roll:

I don't know how much that will cost but doubtless someone will be able to tell you.. :) But as you are having the cam belt done then I doubt it's much more work to change the water pump, I think the pump costs around £30 ish but you can get a better idea from GSF. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

It could also be that the matrix is silted up. The heater matrix is a prime location for grit and sludge to accumulate. When this happens, the matrix becomes partially blocked. It still flows, but gives very limited heat output. Backflushing *might* help a little, although it had no effect on mine.
This is not a signature.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Oh dear, this cars owners have no money, whatever money is being spent on it is being borrowed.

So could be a silted matrix (try backflushing?)
Or a knackered water pump
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Disconnecting the two rubber pipes under the bonnet should allow a hosepipe to be introduced to backflush the thing, probably best to remove the intercooler to see whats going on, probably radweld from when the radiator died :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.