Xantia Exhaust gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia Exhaust gasket

Post by soupy_sam »

Hi is it much of a job to change the exhaust gasket on my Xantia 1.9 TD. I found a leak on starting from the exhaust gasket which seals itself when the engine is warm but pumps white smoke out until warmed up so I plan to change gasket WITH YOUR HELP PLEASE.

When I first bought my Xantia and joined the forum I had never been under the bonnet of a car, have learnt quite a bit from all you guys THANKS
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Well, I have a ZX and it's not difficult. You just have to work from under the car and have a large extension for a ratchet.

Removing the old bolts is a pain in the a$$ so if you can get hold of a Dremel, is easier for cutting them.

The gasket kit comes with the screws, some washers and the gasket. Just be sure to use the right size of screw since if I'm not wrong, the same kit applies for both our cars so 3 sizes of screws are included.

After removing the bolts, you separate the downpipe, retrieve old gasket, put in new one, put the bolts and springs in place and thighten them with the ratchet.

The long extension is because there is not much room to work so you need the clearence to turn the ratchet.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Wrong Gasket oscarloco the one I am on about sits on the engine and the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold sit on it
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

soupy_sam wrote:Wrong Gasket oscarloco the one I am on about sits on the engine and the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold sit on it
ooops, my mistake :shock:
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done one on a BX with the same engine, or at least I had to take the manifold off to get the head off. There is quite a bit of very fiddley work involved as there is very little room between the manifold and bulkhead and you have to be quite ingenious to get at some of the bolts! If you take the top engine mounting off and move the engine forward it will make it easier. You will probably find that it is still leaking when hot, its just that the engine has stopped smoking.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Are you sure its not simply the rocker cover gasket leaking engine oil down over the exhaust manifold ?
Check the rear top of engine with a floodlight for any signs of an "oil-well".
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image