zx jacking points.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

zx jacking points.

Post by alanshep »

Hello. Have just changed the front wheel on my ZX (1.9D).

I started wih the Citroen jack midway down the sill as shown in the handbook but because the car was parked on a very shallow incline (with the front uphill) the rear wheel lifted but the front did not.

Moved the jack to what looked like a jacking point at the front but as I started to jack I heard creaking and the "jacking point" had started to bend under.

I take it this isn't a suitable jacking point.

In the end got a trolley jack and lifted the whole front.

Doesn't look like I've done any serious damage to what I thought was the jacking point but does anybody know what this is?

Thanks.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The ZX has two different types of jacking points:

The one (!) on each side for the supplied wheel changing jack - located roughly under the C-pillar. NOTE! this is intended ONLY for changing wheels - do NOT use it if you are performing other servicing functions on the car.

and

Two jacking points for a trolley jack (on each side) at the extreme front and rear of the under edge of the door sill. Do NOT put a trolley jack under the jacking point mentioned above (under C-pillar) or you will bend up the locating lips for the wheel changing jack and it will no longer locate properly.

//NiSk
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Thanks for the reply.

Seems that I was using the Citroen jack on one of the trolley jack points.

Obviously the jacking point wasn't sitting correctly as it started to bend up under the car.

The jacking point looks like it shouldn't be used again which I'll bear in mind.

Would this point get used to lift the car during an MOT?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Would this point get used to lift the car during an MOT?
No, and unless you've really mashed it it won't fail on it either.

I would make sure that the underseal is still intact, and spray a bit of waxoyl to the inside of the crushed jacking point.

Don't ask how I know...
Pug 405 1.9D Estate 1995
Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec (wife's car) 2000
MZ Skorpion Traveller 660, MZ Trophy Sport, MZ ETZ251, Kawasaki EX-500.
tony1

Post by tony1 »

I found the same thing with my ZX.

I suspected it was caused by the fact that as the trolly jack raises the car the jack has to roll further under the car.

So if a wheel on the jack gets caught on a rough bit of floor, instead of the jack moving the jacking point gets pulled to one side. When this happens over a period of time it gradually weakens the jacking point.
02 - Berlingo HDI Forte