Hello all!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bigjoe
My Cars:

Hello all!

Post by Bigjoe »

Hello all!
Ive found you at last,my wife has been bought a 93 1.6i xantia as a birthday present by her mother oh joy! Im fairly well experienced in mechanical ways but im a bit green as regards to hydraulic suspension/steering/brakes linked,and the xantia has a few problems in that it takes a while to raise when cold and seems to click from the pump? every 2 seconds when running it seems and the suspension seems to move up and down when it feels like it at times? and the headlights are absolutely terrible on dipped beam,you get the same amount of light as the sidelights it seems,any clues guys!?

Thanks in anticipation and im glad ive found the forum!
Im out there somewhere!

Xantia 1.6i LX (i know but i had to start somewhere!)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I suggest you use the search button for the suspension problems, these subjects have been covered extensively by more knowledgeable people than me.. A word of warning though, the car can collapse in a split second when pressure is lost, so follow all the safety rules. Check the resovoir level first. A 93 model will loose height soon after the engine stops. (No anti-sink valve?) Overnight the car should raise in about twenty five seconds or earlier, its hardly an ideal get away car for a bank robber!
Try doing the Citrobics, raise and lower the car at least 7 times to ensure any crud is sent via the return system to the filter.
Cheers!
John
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

JohnT wrote:A word of warning though, the car can collapse in a split second when pressure is lost,
It really shouldn't. And it's nothing to do with anti sink valves.

The height correctors should prevent fluid leaving the struts at any kind of speed. It will sink but not rapidly.

You will however lose all braking force shortly after a loss of pressure so it is best to stop ASAP for that reason.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the pump is cutting in every few seconds, the first thing you need to replace is the accumulator sphere.
mike_zr7
My Cars:

Post by mike_zr7 »

I agree with Peter, the first thing you should do is change the accumulator sphere. The pump should only tick once every 30 seconds or more. I changed the accumulator sphere on my xantia recently. The accumulator sphere is at the front of the engine. Do a search for accumulator and you should find several posts on how to change it. I had to resort to a hammer and chisel remove the accumulator shere on my xantia. Dont know about the problem with your headlights, may be alternator related.
1996 Xantia 1.9TD 78.000 miles, not yet run in
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Mine ticks about every 20 seconds, is that really cause for concern on can it be left a little while longer?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The pump/accumulator should cycle at intevals of 30 seconds or more. There are 2 main reasons for frequent cycling - flat accumulator and leaky regulator non-return valve. The accumulator can be tested by raising the car to normal height, turning off the engine and sitting in the boot. If the accumulator is sound the car will sink quite a long way (they are very soft) and after about 30 seconds rise to its original height. Another test is to raise the car fully - the ticking should slow as the suspension spheres are functioning as accumulators.

joe - it sounds as though yours has failed - a new one is about £20 from GSF or Eurocarparts.

Instructions for re-seating the non-return valve have been given by me may times on this forum.

Lights on early Xantias are always a problem. probably a partial cure is to provide a direct fused supply from the battery, using the existing supply to operate a relay to control it. First however check the all connections are clean and in particular that the earth connections are good. (you could try a lead attached to the battery negative terminal, and touch it on the appropriate part of the lamp (earthed) and see if the beam gets brighter.)
jeremy
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Yup, change your accumulator and fit Osram Silver Star bulbs. With regard to the suspension dropping, the important thing (stressed over and over again in this forum) is to never go under the car unless it's supported on axle stands or the equivalent. Human bodies don't make good jacks.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Homer wrote:
JohnT wrote:A word of warning though, the car can collapse in a split second when pressure is lost,
It really shouldn't. And it's nothing to do with anti sink valves.

The height correctors should prevent fluid leaving the struts at any kind of speed. It will sink but not rapidly.
The word "should" being the operative word here. You can never be too careful when your safety is at stake.

There are a number of theoretical faults that could occur that would cause the car to drop more rapidly than you can get out from under it.

For example if the suspension was set fully up and the manual height override linkage somehow came loose or broke, once the car started dropping visibly you would only have a couple of seconds to get out until you were squashed.

Other possibilities would be hydractive valves unexpectedly opening (which can jolt the height VERY suddenly either higher or lower depending on whether the hydractive sphere had lower or higher pressure beforehand) or a pipe bursting, etc....

Citroen hydraulics are pretty reliable all things considered, (after all you are driving on them on the road all the time) but whenever working on the car you should always be thinking "if the suspension suddenly fell now, would I be hurt?"

If you have your arms in the wheel arch above the wheels or your body under the car without ramps to give you clearance then the answer is yes....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Ever tried pressing directly on H/C pistons (through the rubber) ? The response (up or down) is almost instantaneous :!: You might just as well have kicked a support out of the way.