Xantia 'creaking' rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Xantia 'creaking' rear suspension

Post by steviewonder7 »

Dear all,

I hope you can help me on this one,be greatful for your replies.

In the last week or so I've noticed that my Xantia rear suspension is 'creaking' when I get into and get out of the vehicle.Now I'm not a heavy person,far from it.Upon noticing this I got under the rear of the car when set to maximum height and lubricated the infamous 'white' plastic link(which I also did a few months ago) near the height corrector thinking this was sticking.This didnt seem to make any difference.I also noticed the rear ride height is a little lower than usual on normal setting (rear wheel arch just above rear tyre).
Driving the car today, the road near me has a rather sharp dip and incline
giving the car's rear suspension a chance to 'bottom' out upon which the rear suspension gave out that so called 'creaking' sound again-slightly worrying for me!!
My question to to you all,what might be happening or not happening and what could be the possible solution?
Are my rear suspension arms possibly on their way out(bearings) the car has only covered 102k miles.
Also, recently,I dont know if this is related or not but my 'stop' light and lhm warning lamp on the dashboard stay illuminated for approxiamately 4 seconds when starting the car from cold(this has never happened before).There's plenty of nice green lhm fluid in the the reservoir and the pressure regulator 'clicks' are of normal duration between clicks.
Does the cold weather affect the viscosity of the lhm and therefore somehow affect the hydraulic system in a way that gives all sorts of problems????
P.S This is the first time I've owned a Xantia through the winter period.
1994 1.9sx TD ,no anti sink sphere's,no air con.
Thanks in advance to any replies. :(
Stevie
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the dreaded trailing arm bearings. Are the wheels leaning inward at the top at all? You can get repair kits from GSF or easier but more expensive new/exchange arms.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When you say the rear wheel arch is just above the tyre, im assuming you mean the inside of the wheel arch (where the tyre is actually placed) rather than the arch panel itself
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi all,

Peter,to answer your reply,the rear wheels,angle wise are looking o.k.

and to Mezuk04 sorry no to be more specific.I actually mean as you look
straight at the rear wheel from the side of the car, the lip of the panel of the arch is just above the tyre and not the inside of the arch as you say.

So it may look like anexpensive and time consuming job then??
Thanks for replying folks. :(

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just a quick thought ,

Would a rear height corrector problem have anything to do with my car's problem?

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

See i think that is fairly 'normal', the wheel arch (looking straight at level) to the panel was about 20mm ish too high above the wheel, which the majority on here felt it was far too high and even more so the front, so was lowered the other weekend, and the wheel arch (outside end, lip) is pretty much on the tyre if not a little further down which i believe its suppose to be but cant say i have experience the suspension bottoming out, its a firmer yet smoother ride now.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(