BX spheres how do i tell?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

BX spheres how do i tell?

Post by ssray »

How do i tell when a sphere has gone? my bx diesel estate is a bit more thumpy but i`m not sure which end it is :oops:
Cheers Ray
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

pump it up to normal and sit in the boot to check the back - it should be extremely soft. If the accumulator is good it should lift back to the original position after about 30 seconds! For the front from the normal position push down on the front of the car. This is rather more difficult but if it won't move at all the spheres have gone. You may be able to push a corner - one moves - other doesn't - sphere gone.

Another crude test is to drive it at night - if all is well the headlamps will be smooth - if the front spheres have gone the lamp beams will move with a jerky action.
jeremy
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

Cheers finish work at 0630 tommorow i`ll try then
micitroen
My Cars:

BX Spheres

Post by micitroen »

You say the car is 'thumpy' do you mean that the ride has gotten harder ie. more uncomfortable? Do you notice potholes etc more than you used to? Or is it something else?
You should be able to tell whether its the front or the back purely by the ride..........to be honest if its the fronts and they've gone then its like driving a car with no suspension. That is to say the front just judders around, its very noticeable just like driving when you've got the suspension on 'high' (not advised by handbook). Back is the same but I've not experienced that. But if its not gone that far then just try (with the car running and the suspension/height control in 'normal' position) pushing down on the front of the car and releasing. It should be reasonably soft with about 6" of movement......if it isn't ie. if its hard and difficult to depress; the spheres need checking/changing. The rear should be exactly the same but normally a bit softer in the pushdown.....of course if they have gone then they should be replaced as a pair ie. both fronts or backs as necessary.
Mike.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.