Help needed getting Xantia Height corrector plastic link

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Help needed getting Xantia Height corrector plastic link

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

This is a little plea for help from one of you UK chaps, I'm trying to get hold of one (or two depending on the price) of the little plastic/nylon balljoint linkage clips that go from the rollbar clamp to to the height corrector mechanism on a Xantia. (Front one specifically, and a spare back one if the price is good)

I've been trying through the local Citroen agents for over two weeks now without luck, I havn't even found out IF they can supply me one yet, let alone the price. For those that don't know, the support for Citroen from the official Citroen parts importer/distributor in New Zealand is apaulingly bad.

The local Citroen service agent near me is one of those independant garages who whilst friendly and helpful enough, are service agents for many different makes, and Citroen's probably only account for about 5% of their work, so they don't have much to do with them or the main Citroen parts supplier, despite being a Citroen agent.

Ask them for something a little bit unusual like the height corrector plastic link and you have them stumped. :?

Does anyone know if the front and rear links are the same part number or different ?

So my question is, if I draw a blank here, is there some nice helpful person that has bought a new one of these links from Citroen before who could drop into their nearest Citroen agent, buy a couple, and post them over to me ? Because they're so small and light they should be able to go in regular post. You would need some way of me being able to pay you back, the only way I can think of is a Paypal account or something like that...

Note: at this point I havn't given up on the local agent yet, but I thought I should feel out some alternatives in case the local agents fail. (I get the feeling they're going to tell me they're not available seperately from an entire height corrector assembly)

Thanks. :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cap ... 366010.gif

item 06 part # 5291 03 - 02 ea. - CORRECTION LINK
item 05 part # 5273 12 - 02 ea. - SEAL WASHER

- if you want for both front & rear. Yes its the same part f & r - and same for Mk1 & 2 cars no matter type of hyd suspension.
My bet its only a couple of £ each. But may amount to some £10-15 in p&p alone for NZ :roll:
(GSF)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Simon

First let me say that I have never seen the plastic link on a xantia but I do wonder if you could make something to do the job using Rose joints and a bit of ingenuity? - or from parts of a throttle linkage from a Land Rover for example which used to have a ball jointed linkage?

have a look at the parts list for series 3 -(part 7 - otherwise known as section g) - pages 10,12 and 13.

http://www.manuals.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/manuals.htm
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

item 06 part # 5291 03 - 02 ea. - CORRECTION LINK - £1.68 includes VAT
item 05 part # 5273 12 - 02 ea. - SEAL WASHER - £0.19 includes VAT

Would guess the postage wont be THAT stupid... even NZ!

I can ask the next time I'm at my local garage - I've had to order the bottom engine mount/stabilser which includes the driveshaft intermediate bearing mounting for my sister's 2.0i XM for £133 - OUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH...

and to add insult to injury, they're having to send if from the darkest corner of France by a three legged donkey...

Andrew
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I've just looked at the Post Office web site and I'd bet you'd get away with under 2GBP postage (airmail) - it's really not that expensive:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/cont ... estid=9289
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

andmcit - if its simply the rubber bush at the back of the engine that you are talking about its available from GSF for less than £10 if I remember correctly. I fitted one on my BX without doing any more dismantling than removeing its link to the bodyshell.
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The donut rubber bush has given up in the ally casting that is the lower rear engine mount and the driveshaft intermediate bearing - I've marked it in red here:

If you canm get me these for a tenner, I'll have 10 please!!

Andrew
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If u want me to collect and post a plactic link just ask! If u pay for it I will air mail it you if that helps. Pay when u receive it if u wish.
Cheers!
John
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

andmcit - it looks much the same but as the bush isn't shown separately I can't confirm. I removed the old one having cut through the outer steel ring with a hacksaw threaded through the slot in it. (Blade reversed I think and saw re-assembled). It then came out with a bit of punching.

I'd put the new one in the deepfreeze overnight and after scraping the beans off it at breakfast time I selected the edge with the best lead-in and put a dab of grease round its circumfrence and then tapped it home. I'd suggest you have all necessary tools ready before re-fitting so that it doesn't warm up too much.

Not too difficult - and from what I remember all my knuckles were intact.
jeremy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Simon,

I can also send you the plastic clips if you want.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Thanks guys!

I'll check back with the agents AGAIN to see if they've made any progress and if there is still nothing happening in a few days time I'll get back to you.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

jeremy wrote:andmcit - it looks much the same but as the bush isn't shown separately I can't confirm. I removed the old one having cut through the outer steel ring with a hacksaw threaded through the slot in it. (Blade reversed I think and saw re-assembled). It then came out with a bit of punching.

I'd put the new one in the deepfreeze overnight and after scraping the beans off it at breakfast time I selected the edge with the best lead-in and put a dab of grease round its circumfrence and then tapped it home. I'd suggest you have all necessary tools ready before re-fitting so that it doesn't warm up too much.

Not too difficult - and from what I remember all my knuckles were intact.
I'm impressed!! :wink:

OK, done a similar job with a bush on a Cx top Pork-chop stabiliser in the past. The trick is obviously finding the aviailable bush that IS supposed to fit. I didn't get anything up on a search in GSF's search but then, I wasn't looking at BX parts!!

Which one do you mean:

N10124 ENGINE MOUNTING-UPPER RH BX 16/19/DIESELS UPPER RH 9.60 Add
N10126 ENGINE MOUNT.-LOWER(DISC) BX ALL EXC BX14 LOWER (DISC ONLY) 5.95 Add
N10129 ENGINE MOUNTING-LH ZX 1.6/1.8/1.9/2.0DIES/TD (GEARBOX SIDE) 6.00 Add
N31004 GEARBOX MOUNTING BX 1.6/1.9/DIES/TD MANUAL 4.00

I would be very grateful if you could you get hold of the diameter and width dimesions, as this'd save a big dent being made in my wallet [what's left of it!! :D ]

All the best,
Andrew
Mark Dunmore
My Cars:

Post by Mark Dunmore »

Word of advice; make sure ball joints on height corrector and anti-roll bar clamp are not worn as well. Also that the height correctors are not seized, particularly the rear one. It's possible to get a replacement ball for the height corrector (not O.E., comes from Finland or somewhere close!).

Might be worth getting a 529201 wire clip too; this hooks around one ball of the linkage and supports the linkage should it wear sufficiently to be able to drop off otherwise. Only fits at one end, so require one per linkage.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

andmcit - its the lower disc one - £5.95 N 10126. Probably worth doing the one at the other end of the link while its out. I seem to remember getting that from GSF as well. I was able to press the old one out with a vice and again fitted the new one frozen without difficulty.

jeremy
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

andmcit wrote:item 06 part # 5291 03 - 02 ea. - CORRECTION LINK - £1.68 includes VAT
item 05 part # 5273 12 - 02 ea. - SEAL WASHER - £0.19 includes VAT

Would guess the postage wont be THAT stupid... even NZ!

I can ask the next time I'm at my local garage - I've had to order the bottom engine mount/stabilser which includes the driveshaft intermediate bearing mounting for my sister's 2.0i XM for £133 - OUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH...

and to add insult to injury, they're having to send if from the darkest corner of France by a three legged donkey...

Andrew
im prity sure the bush is the same on all of these engines,but if you give GSF a call they will tell you ,and im sure they also can supply just the bush or the hole unit
regards malcolm