Car stuck in street help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Dnsey said "The non-keypad TD engine electrical system is really very simple. "

After the keypad ( it's a 1999 model ) they changed to a transponder RF tag like the big stores do to stop shoplifters.

As mentioned there is a loop around the steering lock that transmits a signal to the key fob, the fob replies with a code that the engine ecu checks, the ecu then signals a small circuit on the back of the injection pump which replies with a code if these match then the ecu signals the small circuit to release a valve on the pump to allow fuel in.

I don't see this as simple and easy to overide.........the pre-keypad models prob just needed a 12v supply to the valve to get going though.

When the small circuit failed on ours, I got a mobile car electronics 'expert' out, he hooked up his diagnostic computer, flicked rapidly through all the menus and said " it's probably a bad connection " he then pulled all the connectors off under the bonnet and spent about 2 hrs checking them for continuity back to the ecu, in the end he gave up.
We transported it ( £30) to Lythgoe Citroen in Rochdale and they hooked it up and immediately said "the injection pump circuit isn't responding" they had it running again a couple of days later. £ 150 for the circuit roughly same again to fit it ( needs cambelt off and injection pump removing ).

Your symptoms don't sound like this though as ours beeped all the time and flashed an orange 'key' shaped light on the dash. But I'm surprised the Cit dealer hasn't diagnosed it better, I don't think there's anything behind the dash to stop it running.

Pete
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think if it was my car I would be tempted to bypass the immobilizer circuitry completely by cutting the protective plate off the injector pump and running a positive feed from the ignition switch direct to the fuel solenoid.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

the ecu then signals a small circuit on the back of the injection pump which replies with a code if these match then the ecu signals the small circuit
That's the key to overriding the system!
Obviously, I can't say any more for security reasons, but any decent electronic engineer should be able to monitor and synthesise the signals quite easily.
On a more basic level, it may well be possible to hear the solenoid actuate if the system is working. I'd expect to see some smoke when attempting to start, though, if the fuel system's working.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at this - in particular ichard's post - does this sound like yours?

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16546
jeremy
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Just a thought! Rather than leave it unlocked...try the key in the passenger door, has worked on mine in the past.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4