RetroFit of Xantia HDi Aux Heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

RetroFit of Xantia HDi Aux Heater

Post by martyhopkirk »

My HDi Xantia is firkin freezing at the moment and takes forever to warm up being soooooo thermodynamically eficient.

So I wondered how hard of a job it would be to retro fit the little auxiliary heater some of the higher spec HDi's got? Anyone got a plumbing diagram for this?

Or do I fit a gas heater again (Aka my AX heater - older listeners may remember last winter) :twisted:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think diesel burning heaters are a common fitting in lorry cabs and possibly boats and even caravans - and are supplied commercially as kits.
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

have you checked that the 4 glowplugs in the coolant housing are all working ok ? not that they do much anyway but it may help a bit if some of them aint working.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

not just a rather tired thermostat is it? they can fail fairly progressively.
This is not a signature.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I thought all HDI vehicles had the aux heater to reduce emissions ....???
- have you looked inside LHS (passenger side) front wheel arch for a strange small exhaust pipe ?

Reason is that the HDI is not that different from other engines in that it have to reach a minimum working temp rather fast to be at best efficiency.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some info on auxilliary heaters on this site

http://www.rthursby.co.uk/
jeremy
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

AndersDK wrote:I thought all HDI vehicles had the aux heater to reduce emissions ....???
- have you looked inside LHS (passenger side) front wheel arch for a strange small exhaust pipe ?
No , only the higher spec models got that as standard, the lower (poverty) spec ones (like the Forte) it was an option only.
Hence switch on in the (winter) morning and it takes forever to warm up inside.

Thermostat fine, glow plugs fine, car heater just takes an age to get hot (about 30 miles) by which time I have arrived at work. Warm air puffs out after about 10 minutes, but its not HOT HOT HOT ( no matter how far into the red the temp slider is).
samtronic
My Cars:

Re: RetroFit of Xantia HDi Aux Heater

Post by samtronic »

martyhopkirk wrote:My HDi Xantia is firkin freezing at the moment and takes forever to warm up being soooooo thermodynamically eficient.

So I wondered how hard of a job it would be to retro fit the little auxiliary heater some of the higher spec HDi's got? Anyone got a plumbing diagram for this?
Something like this?
Fitting a Eberspächer Hydronic D3W Z to a Citroen Xantia HDI (Swedish, but lots of nice pictures)

Søren A.M.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

martyhopkirk wrote:car heater just takes an age to get hot (about 30 miles)
Are you *SURE* the thermostat is fine? it may be controlling at the correct temperature, but not closing properly, thus meaning it takes forever to warm up.

An HDI engine should be at operating temperature within 5-8 miles, and certainly no more than 10.
This is not a signature.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Take your ZX to work on cold days Marty, they warm up in 800 yards :D mine will melt nylon socks in 2 - 3 miles. lol :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
martyhopkirk

Re: RetroFit of Xantia HDi Aux Heater

Post by martyhopkirk »

samtronic wrote:Something like this?
Fitting a Eberspächer Hydronic D3W Z to a Citroen Xantia HDI (Swedish, but lots of nice pictures)

Søren A.M.
Fantastic - after seeing that plate of spagetti wiring I think I will stick with a gas heater in the footwell :?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Fantastic Søren!

Now perhaps I can get the Hydronic working in my '98 XM 2.5 TD! I've been looking all over the place for something like this. All the Citroën agents in Skåne just raise their shoulders and shake their heads when I mention the name . . .

//NiSk
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sorry about that Marty, I got carried away . . at my own luck. As far as you're concerned, have you tried the old trick of stuffing a bit of hardboard in front of the rad? Might make a few miles difference to the warm-up.

//NiSk