XM- lhm level on dash doesn't seem to work, workshop manual?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whitehartbookss
My Cars:

XM- lhm level on dash doesn't seem to work, workshop manual?

Post by whitehartbookss »

Dear List,

I've just bought my first Citroen - a XM estate 2.5 TD.

The LHM was low - so i've topped it up.

However - the dash LHM level still stays at the bottom.
Also - on the LHM reservoir - there is a red float in the clear bubble on the top. I have a feeling that it shouldn't be red - as it's a warning colour.

I haven't run the engine for long as it has a leaking rad and possible head gasket problems.

What's the procedure for checking the system???.
At idle it will go up to full height after about 30 secs.
At full height it clicks about once a second, this is about 45 seconds after start-up.
I haven't let it run much longer - will wait for the new rads to arrive.

Which is the best workshop manual to buy to maintain the car???
It's about time I had something that explained the complexities of the system - and there's probably a good reconemdation to be had from club members.

Cheers.

Jonathan
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Hi Jonathan,

I don't think that you will find a LHM level gauge on the dash of any Citroen, there is a warning light for low preasure and on my XM I think there is also a light for low level, however you are expected to use the float under the bonnet to check level. Note that this should be done on level ground with the highest suspension setting. There is a float that should be two marking rings on the top of the LHM tank.

Haynes gets a bad rap from most people but if you are new to XM's it might be helpfull. I moved from years of CX's to an XM and have found some sue from Haynes. However I got the most useful info from the web, do some reading on Hydraactive to undersand the suspension on your XM, its not complex once you understand the basics.

Good luck with your car.

regards
sean
1996 XM 2.1 TD exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If your regulator is clicking once a second you need a new accumulator sphere, should only cut in about once in 30 seconds. If you dont replace, it could lead to failure of the high pressure pipe from the pump. The oil gauge on the dashboard is for engine oil and only reads from the time you switch the ingition on until you start the engine.