C5 suspension repairs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

C5 suspension repairs

Post by bencowell »

Today I took my C5 to an independent garage, (will report the name if they prove to be good).

Having read many posts on here, HJ and C5-L I thought I knew what was wrong.

A free test drive resulted in the car being diagnosed as one worn front anti roll bar drop link, but both needing replacing for best practise like you would replace brake bits.

Also it was suggested that rear suspension noise and hardness was due to spheres needing changing at 45k and 3 1/2 yrs.

He said he replaced 2.0 HDI spheres with 1.8 petrol ones (see threads elsewhere on here).

Also mentioned was to replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch, do the top pulley when doing cam belt, exhausts can last 200k+ and that he has taxis with 200-300k on them which only get routine servicing, clutches, drop links and rear spheres.

The C5 is generally a good car.

Ben
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Ben, remember this one thing:

The rear spheres are common to both the 1.8l and the 2.0HDI, as they don't have HA3+. The front ones have different damper elements, but same pressure.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've never heard of replacing the flywheel when replacing the clutch - on any vehicle at all! I'd have thought flywheels were rather expensive and certainly heavy!

Perhaps he means the crankshaft rear oil seal which will be behind the flywheel.
jeremy
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

No, it was definatley the flywheel.

Elsewhere on this forum it is discussed about the dual mass flywheel failing on the C5.

Apparantly they used to be about £500, now more like £180!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.