Synergie 1.9TD-Smoke out on boost!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub42
My Cars:

Synergie 1.9TD-Smoke out on boost!

Post by sub42 »

Hi all, hope you are all keeping well.

I have now had a few weeks with the new motor, and she's a fine beast. I still can't believe that the fuel guage says just under halfway, and the ODO says 405 miles covered since the last tank fill! Mad....

Just a little problem however. When I drive it, cos the Mrs drives like a snail, I seem to get a lot of trailing smoke on boost. Now, it's not blue. It's just really, really dense. I have a TDI VW Transporter, and that weights nearly three tonnes, and has a 2.5 5 cylinder engine, and even when pulling up a nearly vertical(!) incline on full boost, it only belches a minimal amount of smoke.

I can remember my Dispatch 1.9TD, tha I owned in 1997 being a little smokey on boost, but I'm a little worried about the Synergie. I have changed the air filter, but I'm at a loss with the rest.

Any Ideas? It's a 2000 V plater, with 50k on the clock, FSH.

Or do I just need to give it a good thrashing....

Cheers, Mark.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be just soot in the exhaust system, especially if it has been driven gently. If it is, it will dissapear after a few full throttle operations, if not its probably over fueling. Being turbo its unlikely to be air flow restriction or the lower manifold pressure would cut back the fuel.
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Cheers,

It's actually going onto the motorway today! I have issued orders to give it some nonsense on the way to London Colney. Hopefully that will sort it. If not, is it a new Pump that is needed?

Cheers, Mark.

NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hardly the pump, more likely the injector(s).
But give it an Italian tune up first!

//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Since its running well and not too thirsty I would think its either water or engine oil - not fuel.
The engine oil would then come from the exhaust as it evapourates by the heat giving white dense smoke - rather than getting burnt in combustion where it will turn the exhaust smoke blue.

On a TD it would be a leaking turbo sealing on the hot side.

It could however also be a mal-adjusted boost enricher on the rotary pump.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

could it also be a sticking wastegate - not giving enough boost and therefore not enough air to burn the fuel?

Cheers

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Hmm.

Just taken it for another burn. It really is just overfuel I think. It is the typical brown diesel smoke, not oil or water. Just so much of it! I had a guy flash me tonight cos I left him sitting in a cloud of smoke!

It's not blue, so it must be overfuel right? So what will be the primary cause? It really is a peach, its so tight. It gives the full punch on boost, and I mean punch, it really goes. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. Tomorrow is BP Ultimate diesel day, and then a thrash up to Northampton and back.

What would I need to look for if it is my pump settings? I'm concerned it won't pass it's MOT next year!

Cheers Guys, you are a great help!

Mark.

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It could also be injectors - which are not atomising the fuel properly and causing incomplete combustion. A cleaner may help but if they are that bad they probably need overhauling or replacing.

On mechanical pumps you could restrict the maximum throttle opening - i don't know if there are any adjustments on yours.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

With 50K on the clock I can hardly believe the engine should have any wear/deposit related problems. May be that simple the enricher setting has been fiddled with to try race the boys ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I wonder . . . there isn't a chance that a previous owner has fitted a booster box or similar performance-enhancing device??

//NiSk
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

:twisted:

Been giving it a real seeing to today. Guess what? After a full tank of high cetane BP Ultimate, and a can of injector cleaner, its all but sorted.

Must have been a little clogged up. This thing really flies! I think I must concur that it has been messed with. It's a quick little bus!

Thanks for all your help,

Cheers, Mark.