AX 1.4D stalling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

AX 1.4D stalling

Post by RichardW »

Just thought I'd see if anyone's come across this before....
My sister's car: 93 AX 1.4D, only about 60k. After a hard run the engine stalls when you declutch and lift off (say coming off motorway). Sometimes difficult to restart. No trouble round town, no trouble cold or hot starting normally. Problem has worsened over last few months. I am remote from the car, but my Dad will be looking at it. I've thought of:
Air leak
Cold start cable out of adjustment / stop moved
Stop solenoid problem
Timing out (belt is around 3 years old)
Head gasket problems (yeah, long shot that one!).
I'd love to be able to say it's XYZ, but I doubt it's that simple....
TIA
Richard
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

cold start cable - mine was shagged and I drove for 2 years with no such stalling. It just gives extra fuel until the engine warms up. Once I had started the car and run it for 2 mins, there was no problem.
I would say look at the 'stop solenoid' angle. I never furtled with this on my AX and I am not too familiar with diesels (to work on) but in my previous car, a Polo, it stalled terribly when I changed down the gears, exactly as you describe. After much trauma, swearing and hair pulling, it turned out to be a loose fuse. In low gears,ie. high revs, the vibration was greater, causing the fuse to loose contact and the circuit to close. On the Polo, it was the fuse which allowed the fuel pump to run (ie when ignition on, supply to pump is on).