Hey Guys....Knowledge needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

We have recently got a cheap 97 rover 414si for the better half run around.

Its only done 80,000 miles in its life but to be honest is showing signs of slight seepage at waterpump (viewed from underneath) and the bottom of the radiator is quite rusty (although) holds water.

From what I've seen and heard these 1.4 16v engines are slightly under cooled at best of times any loss of performance in cooling system kills the gasket very quickly.

I'm planning to sort these issues on ours very soon so as to avoid a headgasket job.

It seems they are more fussy than XUD citroens for headgaskets.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Went round today to have a look, and the gasket is had it. Its not only leaking water into oil / visa versa, there is a leak of oil on the front of the head/block as well (only small). Its using about 2 litres of water every time you go out in it. Started lumpy this morning, then ran lumpy, until it warmed up and was ok, then it died, and didnt want to restart, all the water had gone out of the header tank again, so filled up again. Left if a few mins and it spluttered to life. Hes looking for a replacement car now, and i guess the rover will be looking for a final resting place. Not bad to say it has 138k on it really, mose of em are dead long before that.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Is it true that if some K series lose as little as half a pint, they can start to get hot and bothered :shock:

Sure I :? read it somewhere
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage