Xantia comparison

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Xantia comparison

Post by stevecritchlow »

Hi

For a while now I've had a 2.1 Turbo Diesel Xantia, which is by far the best car I've had to drive. Its sturdy and reliable, but most of all its lovely to drive. It accelerates great, and holds the road superbly, and the economys not bad either.

However, time is coming for a change. Because I've enjoyed my 2.1TD so much I'm thinking that I'll get another Xantia. Can anyone tell me how the 2.0HDI Xantia (or C5) compares for performance to the 2.1TD Xantia. I'd hate to buy one and then be dissapointed.

Any expereinced opinions greatly received
Steve
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

HDi comes in 2 power outputs - 90 :cry: and 110 :lol: BHP. Make sure it is a 110, and it will be as good as the 2.1, but use 20% less diesel 8) 110 easily recognised from under the bonnet by the second air pipe alongside the air intake pipe over the top of the N/S of the engine - pipe is not present in 90s. There was a thread about this last week, with an underbody pic of what turned out to be a 110.

Some complain the HDi is a lot more clattery than the XUD - and the 2.1 is considered to be the best of the XUDs (not had a go in one yet!), so make sure it's not too clattery for your liking. I had a go in my mate's HDi 110 and it went like the clappers, and was very quiet to my ear.

The only real weakpoint of the HDi system is the low pressure fuel pump, which tends to give up after 60k miles, resulting in a no-run situation, and a lighter wallet. Apparently may give a clue it's on the way out by leaving copper / brass particles in the fuel filter.

Check the crank pulley - they disintegrate at anything after 60k miles, and cost nearly £100 for a new one.

Otherwise the usual Xantia checks apply!

Cit garage in my town has got a FCSH X plate HDi Forte, 61k miles, for £2995. Unfortunately I think it's only a 90....
Richard W
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

excellent tip Richard, many thanks
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dont be too put off the 90 - I have one and have found after chipping it, it goes like stink. So far 10K miles and no overheating / smoke or other problems. Lugged 1700kgs down the M6 too at 80 - no problems at all.

The 110 is a better bet though if you can find one.

Cost of W plate car 18 months ago - 30K miles, FCSH - £3495 from a dealer. Cost of chipping £149
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well, if you want to go into chipping then chip a 110HP one...it becomes really fabulous!!!

Having an intercooler is inherentley the better choice...
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Steve I bought a 90bhp estate. I like it a lot but it is underpowered. I had the ecu re-mapped to 115bhp which is a lot better to drive with slightly better economy but nothing like the 110 for economy. I still haven't managed a power comparison with a standard 110 as I'm still waiting to find an excuse to borrow our works 406 110 estate one evening. Anyway waffle over get a 110 or an even a more powerful C5 diesel 2.2.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

RichardW wrote:
Some complain the HDi is a lot more clattery than the XUD - and the 2.1 is considered to be the best of the XUDs (not had a go in one yet!), so make sure it's not too clattery for your liking. I had a go in my mate's HDi 110 and it went like the clappers, and was very quiet to my ear.
I have found that both my Dad`s 406 HDI est,90 & his latest 110 to be a bit louder than my 1.9TD from out side the car.When accelerating hard i find there is quite a "gruff/mechanical" note from the engine,compared to my XUD.Apart from that,under normal driving is fairly quiet.Although i `expect the 406 may have more sound deadening.His 110 is much better than his old 90,which was not bad performance wise,but the 110 is so much better. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
paulbx
My Cars:

Hdi 90 vs 110

Post by paulbx »

I have a 90 estate and I agree that an extra 20 horses can't be a bad thing. Seems odd to scrimp on an intercooler yet give you A/C!

That said its still quick, happy at 80 on the motorway, and a great load hauler. Iw as looking for a 110 but a good 90 beats a bad 110 in teh lomng run! I believe and I may be wrong that the 90 has some simpler components so it may be a better bet maintenance wise.
It has a single mass flywheel as oppsoed to a dial mass for example and I've heard these often need replacing (teh dual) when the clutch goes.
I'm a bit wary of chipping and I have looked into retro fitting an intercooler but as well as getting hold of second hand bits you also need brackets etc that are not there on the 90 to hang kit off.
Anyone else converted one?

PAul
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate