Xantia radio locked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casso
My Cars:

Xantia radio locked

Post by casso »

Hi,

Bought a '98 Xantia TD. The radio seems to be locked.

Radio PU-1561 A Serial No. 96 279398080. I pulled out unit and there is a code 4511 marked on the label but I cannot get the radio to go into "enter Code" mode. I have left it on for several hours to no avail. All I ever get on the display is - - - -. If I press "band" and the on button the radio plays but with a constant Beep Beep. Any one any idea how to "reset" it before I throw it out the window ...

No service history with car but Front spheres seem to have a date stamped on them ? Accumulator might need replacement (ticking every 4 or 5 seconds) Will also change cambelt. Any other advice appreciated.

Regards,
colm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Check the colour of the LHM, if its green then all is fine...if its orange/yellow like mine was then get it replaced because it aint LHM in there, though for the small job and cheap job it is you could always replace it totally
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Be patient with your radio. Mine was the same. I got the correct security code from my local Citroen dealer for free and had to wait about 3 days before it would let me punch in the code. Apparently the more times you try it with the wrong code the longer it takes to settle down. DON'T press anything for days.......see if it will alllow you a go with the proper code.

If not there are loads of people on the web or probably at your local radio or parts store that will de-lock it for about £20. Alternatively search ebay for a decent second hand one!!!
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Yes the book says you will be locked out for 1 hour if you input the wrong code 3 times. In my case I it took 30 (yes thirty!) hours before the "CODE" input display came up.

You have to leave it on during the waiting time. In my case leaving it on more than an hour on the ACC position would flatten the battery. So I ended up taking it out and connecting it up on the bench just to the earth, memory and ign terminals.
you can use a battery charger as a power supply if you dont have a 12V DC bench supply. 2.8 mm female lucar terminals can be used to connect to the ISO block on the back of the radio if they are the 0.8 thck type you will need to crimp them down to make a good fit on the ISO terminals. Be careful not to short between the pins. (or od course a spare battery wiht the voltage well up.

BTW your radio is a Clarion unit. (Same as mine.)
It can accept a CD changer (boot mounted) and has the display, controls and socket all ready to plug it in. Its the same CD changer model as Clarion did for Landrover. (in fact mine is a Landrover branded one)

The code from my Citroen dealer cost £14.10 inc VAT. So the legit path may be cheaper if the code on the back of the radio is not correct. (Great security writing the code on the back, was there a tenner taped on the back too?)

Good luck
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

BTW your code should be 3254 - that is if its not been recoded at any time.
Pressing and holding, for more than 5 seconds, the band button, should allow you to enter the code. Hope this helps :wink:
They said it couldn't be done, so we didn't bother trying!
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

jack.dempsey wrote:BTW your code should be 3254 - that is if its not been recoded at any time.
Pressing and holding, for more than 5 seconds, the band button, should allow you to enter the code. Hope this helps :wink:
Unfortunately that didnt work on mine, (though I tried it lots, pressing for up to 30 seconds) it just put a second row of dashes on the very bottom line of the display. Eventually "CODE IN" came up on its own after about 30 hours of being connected.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

rpaco wrote:
jack.dempsey wrote:BTW your code should be 3254 - that is if its not been recoded at any time.
sorry jack but you need the barcode number not the serial number if there is two barcodes then you use the last four of the bottom one
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
casso
My Cars:

Post by casso »

Hi, Thanks for advice. I've just got around to rigging the radio up to a battery charger & spare battery and will leave it on hoping that it will reset itself.

The barcode is 0005757.

Will let you know what it does.

Regards,

Colm

P.S. The amount of knowledge and advice given out on this forum is very very impressive.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Meexi - spot on. The code is calculated from the last 4 digits of the second number on the bar code. In this case 5757 gives us a security code of 6325 - this should be entered once you've got the radio 'back'. Good luck. Jack
They said it couldn't be done, so we didn't bother trying!
casso
My Cars:

Post by casso »

Left radio on for a full week and was just about to give up when it finally decided to allow the code to be entered. It's now working fine. Thanks all.

Can a cd changer be used with this radio ? It doesn't appear to have any unused plug to plug one in ?