Xantia VSX exhaust help again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andybsmith

Xantia VSX exhaust help again

Post by andybsmith »

After much gnashing of teeth I managed to get the seal on and cat in place, thnx for the advice on that one guys. My problem now is that the silencer is unsupported for most of its length so it tends to sag on the join which pushes the cat downpipe onto the subframe. Isn't the middle pipe supposed to have a mounting? It looks like I'll have to get inventive with springs and things. Advice help or comiseration would be appreciated :cry:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe when you tightend the fladges you did not hold the box up with a jack and a block of wood to keep it in line whilst doing so
regards malcolm
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

Tried that jack and wood thing, it didn't work, however on close inspection the old and new cats are slightly different. The new cat is the same length but the flange that connects to the centre pipe is angled, is such a way that it forces the whole assembly downwards when tightened. So I have made up a strap and some brackets and by using two rubber ring exhaust mounts I can now support the mid silencer at a height that allows the downpipe to clear the subframe. Ok its fairly crude but it does the job, if anyone else has a similar problem I will happily post photo's so that you can see what I mean.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if your supplier had that box listed as the corect one for your car,then i would have taken it straite back,as it sounds like its badly made or you have fitted it upsidedown,these companys should not be allowed to get away with producing shody goods
regards malcolm