ZX noise from engine or exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jesperakesson

ZX noise from engine or exhaust

Post by jesperakesson »

Hi!

ZX 1.4i break -95

I have a sharp flapping (describing these noises is really a test on my english!) noise coming from my engine or the front part of the exhaust.
When the car is cold (after a night or so) the noise is not present, but when the engine warms up it is there just after a few minutes of driving. Its only noticeable when I accelerate or driving faster than 70 km/h. The noise is depending on the stress that I put on the engine, no stress=no noise. I'm pretty sure its rev depending, the flapping increases with revs, and the noise is there in all gears.
I can also hear it when depressing the clutchpedal a bit - strange. Hence I lift my car and had a look at the flexible joint but I did not find traces of any soot. At the same time I checked the enginemount under the engine and it looks fine.

Thaughts anyone?

/Jesper
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when you hear the noise whilst pressing the clutch,is this with the car stationary,if so it could be you clutch thrust bearing,otherwise the usual exhaust leak is from the joint at manifold to down pipe
regards malcolm
jesperakesson

Post by jesperakesson »

Well then I can rule out the clutch thrust bearing.

The joint you're talking about is right above the lambdasensor, right?
What do I do with it? new gasket, bolts and nuts?
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

citronut wrote:when you hear the noise whilst pressing the clutch,is this with the car stationary,if so it could be you clutch thrust bearing,otherwise the usual exhaust leak is from the joint at manifold to down pipe
regards malcolm
I agree with the downpipe to manifold joint gasket. Had this problem a few months ago.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi jesper
usualy clean just both faces, reasemble with fresh jointing paste and new gasket
regards malcolm
jesperakesson

Post by jesperakesson »

Thanks all!

Seems to me that the only problem i might run into is broken nuts when take things apart.

/j
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

only one way to find out
regards malcolm
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Got a "Cat-Kit" for my Xantia from the Citroën dealer, cost me about 10£. Content was; New springs, new washers, three different sets of bolts, new metal gasket. Might be worth getting a ZX set, then you do not have to worry about your nuts :wink:
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
jesperakesson

Post by jesperakesson »

Eventually I replaced the gasket between manifold and exhaustpipe, but it did not help. I have ordered gaskets for the manifold to head and the "coned" gasket for the flexible joint. I will post my result when I finish so that anyone else with the same problem might get som help from this.

A friend of mine who dont know of my problem asked me if I got an helikopter-engine in my car when he heard the flapping noise.

/Jesper