Xantia V6 packed up again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Xantia V6 packed up again

Post by Stempy »

Here we go again! :? Bloomin' thing wont start now. Turns over but wont fire and engine management K light does random things, sometimes stays on some times flickers. I'm wondering whether it might be a problem with the immobiliser as the alarm has been playing up recently. Had a look under the passenger carpet but couldn't find any connectors so maybe the ECU is elsewhere n the V6, like most other things on this car, never where they are supposed to be. Any suggestions gratefully received. :cry:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The most recent cars crammed with computers and stuff still needs 2 things to run :
Ignition & fuel.
Find out whats missing - and you're on track :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

AndersDK wrote:The most recent cars crammed with computers and stuff still needs 2 things to run :
Ignition & fuel.
Find out whats missing - and you're on track :wink:
I agree with Anders. Have a look at this thread on AF. My XM is working fine now. Read the whole thread and/or look at the ignition module. :roll:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showth ... post273280
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

On my 406 (194bhp) the ECUs are inside the blak plastic box on the "british"nearside of the car, between the engine and the coolant reservoir.
The Xantia should have a similar layout.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mmmm that's interesting. Just been having a poke around under the bonnet and got my volt meter out to check a few things. As I was measuring the fuses I noted that one had only 5 volts, as I removed the meter probe there was a squealing sound which I think came from the coil pack. I measured the fuse voltage again and it was up to 12v. Gave the ignition key a twist and it fired up straight away, so I think I'll be spending my weekend with a tin of contact cleaner and stiff brush :roll: Hopefully the Xantia doesn't have any connectors under the LHM tank.

When you say ignition module do you mean the coil pack or another device?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Stempy wrote:Mmmm that's interesting. Just been having a poke around under the bonnet and got my volt meter out to check a few things. As I was measuring the fuses I noted that one had only 5 volts, as I removed the meter probe there was a squealing sound which I think came from the coil pack. I measured the fuse voltage again and it was up to 12v. Gave the ignition key a twist and it fired up straight away, so I think I'll be spending my weekend with a tin of contact cleaner and stiff brush :roll: Hopefully the Xantia doesn't have any connectors under the LHM tank.

When you say ignition module do you mean the coil pack or another device?
It is a smallish device that on the XM sits on an aluminium backing plate that is mounted next to the coil. The IM is the "smarts" of the coil. On mine there was a flat plug with about six or seven pins and then another lead comes out of the same loom to connect power to the coil.

The aluminium plate acts as a heat sink for the IM.

With the engine running, jiggle the plug around to see if you can simulate the engine failing in the same way. This is what I did and proved to be the solution.

The car did not miss a beat on th 14km drive to work this morning. \:D/
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"