Xantia Glow Plugs and coolant pipe problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Xantia Glow Plugs and coolant pipe problems

Post by wilkobob »

Been changing the glow plugs on Chris' car for the last 3 and a half hours, and we finally have them all out. One rather nasty problem though. No.4 Glow plug (cam belt end) had a water pipe above it going into the head through a metal "block". The metal bit of pipe that the rubber one goes on has snapped off. Whats this bit called and where the hell do we get one? Gonna put the new plugs in if we can (its now dark) but obviously we cant move the car as there is coolant leaking out. Any Ideas anyone!?!? I aint got room for another car on my drive. :roll:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think that piece will be dealer only - unless you can get one off a scrapper, but that will probably snap too! I think it's item 18 on this picture:

Citroen call it a Cylinder head lock plate. Seems odd, as they only show it having a spigot after RP 7652 which seems quite late, as my 95 defo had a spigot, and that was well before 7652. Part numbers & prices (according to pr.net!) are
0234 29 (until RP 7651) £26.27 and 0234 47 (after RP 7652) £9.88 ...which kind of suggests that I am reading the drawing wrong, and the spigot is untill RP 7651!

Breaking that spigot off has been noted before, and fitting a new one is awkward, since the allen bolts that hold it in are difficult to access, to say the least!
Richard W
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well. Went to scrap yard, and low and behold found a xantia with "less cr*p" in the way, and it came off fairly easily. (Used a ball headed allen key). Once at home it wasnt too much of a job to replace, again using the ball headed allen key (I suggest anyone who hasnt got a set of these shoud get some as they save a lot of swearing). Once all back together, the hardest bit was remembering where all the different brackets go that we removed to do the glow plugs. But in the end the job was complete. The only other job was to refil the coolant system, and bleed it up. Job done.

What I cant understand is why the ZX with the bosch pump on isnt as difficult as the xantia!?

So... to recap... a job that should take the best part of an hour on most other cars, took 2 days. Moral of the story... If buying a Xantia, and it has a bosch injection pump, get the vendor to do the glow plugs!