Xantia - Fan blower, Rear Demister and Cigar Lighter Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Christos

Xantia - Fan blower, Rear Demister and Cigar Lighter Problem

Post by Christos »

Just recently, I've started having problems with the electrics on my 'M' reg 16v Xantia.

The cigar lighter fails to work at all - a continuity check suggests that there is no earth, although the leads coming off the back of the lighter socket are fine (i.e. still attached).

Secondly, around the same time, the heater fan has started to work only intermittently. Often the fan blows when the ignition key is initally turned, but stops as soon as the engine fires. Alternatively it may be happilly blowing away as I'm driving down the road, only to suddenly stop. It may (or may not) decide to start blowing again a few minutes later.

Whilst the heater fan does not work, neither does the rear demister - the demister switch will not push in. However when the fan starts working again, so does the demister!

I'm wondering if I have a dodgy earth connection somewhere, affecting both the cigar lighter, demister and fan. However, where is the earthing block to check this!?!
:?
Peter Mannn
My Cars:

Post by Peter Mannn »

this is consistent with deterioration of a switch in the ignition (except for the open circuit cigar lighter earth). The fix is to fit a shunt relay to take the load off the old switch. eMail me at nicolewis@optusnet.com.au and I will send a package of info on this retrofit.
Christos

Post by Christos »

Many thanks. I had seen the posts about the ignition switch, but wasn't sure whether the cigar lighter could indicate something else.

Having searched the postings further, it appears that the main earthing points are underneath and behind the battery - is this correct? If so, I'll check for a poor earth here for the lighter.

I've emailed you regarding the retrofit instructions.

Many thanks,
Chris