Crankshaft pulley - H E L P

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marpate1
My Cars:

Crankshaft pulley - H E L P

Post by marpate1 »

Hi all,

Constant squeeking from the engine area, so I pulled over to take a look. The crankshaft pulley is loose.

I'm ready to take the pulley off, but the bolt won't shift.

Is a left or right handed thread? Where can I get a replacement?

What damage would it have done (seems to be quite a lot of oil around it and the bottom of the engine)?

Really need the car back on the road today, so any advice welcomed.

Thanks,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
(much better than a Mondeo!)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The bolt is very tight, you will need a socket and at least 3' extention bar to get enough leverage. If the bolt is tight, the key must have worn or be broken, you may find that its worn a nasty groove in the crankshaft, unless its a damped pully, in which case it may be in two sections with a rubber insert between them and it may be this thats gone. I hope thats what it is!
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

Peter.N. wrote:If the bolt is tight, the key must have worn or be broken, you may find that its worn a nasty groove in the crankshaft
Hi Peter - you were right :(

The key is very worn and has made a right mess of the pulley. The crankshaft does not seem too bad. I'm off to the local GSF to try and get the pulley, but they don't stock the bolt. The nearest is a 30 mile round trip for a £2.80 part.

If you have any comments for the installation, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's similarly very tight - about 30lb/ft, then another 60°, and it has thread lock as well. If you buy a new bolt then it should come with thread lock on it already. How come the pulley was loose if the bolt was tight?
Richard W
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Crankshaft pulley

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
To get crankshaft pulley bolt undone easily, fit a good socket or ringspanner on head of bolt, turn crank so that spanner/socket is jammed against body ( anticlockwise ), then just give starter a flick. Instant bolt undo.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

RichardW wrote:How come the pulley was loose if the bolt was tight?
Hi, I really don't know - it makes no sense to me. :?

I've just come back from GSF and they don't stock the parts I need either (93 1.9TD).

Looks like off to main dealer instead then :(

Thanks,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
marpate1
My Cars:

Re: Crankshaft pulley

Post by marpate1 »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
To get crankshaft pulley bolt undone easily, fit a good socket or ringspanner on head of bolt, turn crank so that spanner/socket is jammed against body ( anticlockwise ), then just give starter a flick. Instant bolt undo.
Regards,
Greg
Ha! You really make it sound so easy. In fact, this is what I did in the end. Even doing this, the bolt was damned tight and I needed to do it a few more times during removal.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

Well, I'm having trouble finding somewhere which has a pulley available quickly. Other than GSF, eurocarparts and buypartsbuy - does anyone know of anywhere else I can try ... or is it really only citroen?

Thanks,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Only a scrap yard.
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

RichardW wrote:How come the pulley was loose if the bolt was tight?
Let me explain this better. The bolt itself was very tight in the hole, but it looks like the washer is very worn. This was probably caused by the pulley seemingly being able to rotate 360 degrees after destroying the key. I guess that over time it just got worse :(

My concern is that if the key slot is damaged, then I could see the whole thing again more rapidly.

Anyway, I've found a breaker who will get a pulley off a car and I can at least inspect that and the key to check for any wear.

I've also just bought a cambelt as I really don't want to have to remove the pulley in the next few thousand miles.

Cheers,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You should be able to tell easily if the keyway is worn. The key should be a secure fit, with no slop. Make sure that you get the correct replacement key, too, to avoid possible trouble later. Not only the dimensions, but the 'shearability' varies, to limit damage if something seizes.
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

I know you are in a rush for a repair...But this is quite a long job.

I would go to the Breakers for the pulley (Take your Big Bar)the cars there are usually off the floor and if your in luck some are stripped down so making the removal process a bit easier.

I have just bought a pulley bolt from my Local Citroen Dixon for £2.00 and this included new locktight, trust washers also available.

To do the job right you could do with changing the Timing Belt and if like you say there is Oil around there could be an Oil Seal to replace if not this could contimate the new pulley and belt.

Hope this helps
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

citroenbx wrote:I know you are in a rush for a repair...But this is quite a long job.

Hope this helps
Hi, yes you are right. Luckily my local friendly breakers will take the pulley off for me, so I will go and collect today.

I'm not sure where the oil is leaking from, so will change the oil seals as you suggest.

Thanks,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX