Exaust Manifold and 1st Pipe RED HOT (NO JOKE)!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pedro (PT)
My Cars:

Exaust Manifold and 1st Pipe RED HOT (NO JOKE)!!!!

Post by Pedro (PT) »

Hi there:
Try this...My BX's exaust manifold and 1st pipe are getting so hot that it turns red...And this only a few seconds of heavy engine work...Not normal...Please HELP!!!!!!!!!....Eliminate the ignition timing and exaust blockage for this is not the cause (already checked)....What can it be?
thew
My Cars:

Post by thew »

I have seen petrol engines being tested on static rigs in engine manufacturing plants, and their manifolds glow cherry red after a while. I was told it was lack of cooling to the engine and manifold as they are designed to be in a moving vehicle and not static, and sometimes these engines are on test for days like this with no adverse affects. I'd assume that if you are seeing this the car must be static, and if it's a diesel the exhasust gases are hotter than a petrol anyway, so I'd suggest that if it isn't melting or damaging stuff around it, and the car runs normal then you have not got too much to worry about. If you return the engine to idle does the red colour disappear?? You could also invetigate the cooling system and head gasket or maybe there is too much fuel getting in and causing this rise in temp.
Pedro (PT)
My Cars:

Post by Pedro (PT) »

Yes when the car gets back to idle it becomes normal...It's a petrol a 1600cc GTi 115hp...The guy from CIT said that wasn't normal...He suspects carbon build up in the engine and being sent red hot to the exaust...I think it is not from the cooling system for the engine temp never passes the 90ºC even for hours in traffic...As for the car being static while doing this u r right but that would apply to the exaust manifold mounted in the front of the engine (eg Cx and DS) this engine has it mounted right at the back of the engine, and thats why they say it's not normal...He also said that it could be something electric (I hope so). Any more ideas? Please...
thew
My Cars:

Post by thew »

Ok then, a suggestion. If it is carbon in the cylinders/on the pistons you could try some fuel additive to try and break it down. In the UK we have a product called redex, I think that carbon removal is one of its functions, there are probably others that are designed specially for this purpose but I have never had to buy any so I can't suggest anything by name. Or you could remove the head and do it the old fashioned way. As for the problem being electrical, that is interesting. I've never seen a car with an electrical connection to the exhaust manifold, and the sort of temperatures you are talking about a battery wouldn't be able to supply enough power to heat the manifold that much anyway. Let me know how you get on, you can e-mail me on thew@cwcom.net if you like.