xsara electrical problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thenig

xsara electrical problem

Post by thenig »

problem is, the other day my xsara hdi june 2000, all the electrics "froze" the engine started but lights, indicators radio or nothing would work. i rectified the problem by discounnecting the battery and reconnecting it a few minutes later, it seemed to work, but can any one tell me what the problem is or how to fix it permanently. the diagnostic light didnt come on. thanx for yor help.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

IIRC, Xsaras of that ilk are CANBus controlled (like a network); sounds like your CANBus froze, and the battery off trick reset the Bus. It may happen again, it may not, or possibly your CAN is now running on low speed only (it has 2 networks - one comparable to dial-up modem speed, the other broadband speed), although that is usually shown by the indiactors etc taking a few seconds to work (i'm not joking)..

Best bet is get it checked out by someone who knows modern vehicle electrics..preferably not a Citroen dealer!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

a 2000 model year Xsara only has basic multiplexing with only one network (comfort VAN), the car has computer called a BSI unit & just like a PC it can sometimes freeze & crash and occasionally & needs restarted,disconecting the battery has the same effect as this.unless your car starts doing this regularly then i wouldnt worry about it.
thenig

Post by thenig »

Sorry its take so long to reply!!! thanx for your answers, i will be close monitoring it from now on.