xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

xantia rear suspension

Post by jcdel »

My 94' Dimension TD has got very hard on the rear.On start up it seems slow to level off.The rear seems to maintain it's height (possibly a touch lower on the rear but the front does drop (not fully) with engine off.We seem to have to sit waiting for it to level before we drive off.Also when I hitch the caravan on it seems too high for the van even with a 3" lowering plate on.My old GSA was far superior on suspension.At the moment the xantia drives like a Quad bike. Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hard suspension is generally caused by flat spheres, if its a VSX especially the centre one. The unlevel suspension could be sticky hieght control valves, try spraying them with several applications of WD40 over a couple of days. It could also be that your fluid wants changing and filters cleaning.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: xantia rear suspension

Post by JohnD »

jcdel wrote:.Also when I hitch the caravan on it seems too high for the van even with a 3" lowering plate on.
Normally a Xantia doesn't need a drop plate when attaching a caravan. Check the ride height with the engine running. From the underside of the chasis to the ground should be 420mm +/- 7mm. As a rough guide, the lower edge of the wheel arch should be just below the top of the tyre.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Could this be a height corrector clip that has popped off - the car will go into its highest position and the ride will be very firm.

I use my Xantia for towing and think its the best thing since sliced bread. Though I have now got into the habit of placing it in intermediate when hitching / unhitching after a couple of occasions with sticky hitches causing the car to drop on my foot when the van was eventually freed :roll:
jcdel
My Cars:

xantia rear suspension

Post by jcdel »

many thanks .I'm new to this forum but so far it's brilliant.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

If the car will still move to the high setting front and rear when you move the height set lever in the car then its likely to be the rear spheres. Did them on our '95 TD last weekend. What a difference, mind you one had obviously ruptured.

If the back of the car isn't responding to movement of the height set lever then either the rear height adjuster has seized or the rod has become detatched/plastic ball joint has broken.

Rory