Yes its YET another problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Yes its YET another problem

Post by mcgregor »

This has not been a good last few weeks for my Xantia. This morning we found the passenger footwell storing quite a large quantity of water. It may well have been coming in for a while but today is the first time I have had a passenger for a while. Its definately fresh water and presumably the downpours of the last few days have found a way in. Has anyone else suffered such a leak and any idea where its coming from? Fist impression is windscreen area as the under dash sound proofing is wet. After nearly 5 years of reasonably trouble free Xantia ownership she is severely testing my bottle just recently with a string of problems.
Any ideas as to where the water is comming in would be welcomed.
Thanks
DAve
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Under dash sound proofing, do you mean the felt cover above the passenger footwell ?
If it's wet there, then the water may go in through the air inlet under the bonnet behind the LHM tank.
Once I squirted water in there when washing the engine compartment, and water went through the cabin air filter and down onto the carpet.
There is meant to be a rubber seal going half way around the edge of the air intake to keep water or engine fume out.

If you mean the padding under the plastic dash top, then the windscreen may need resealing in places with some sort of goo.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

The bit that you remove to change the pollen filter. It was wet as well as the footwell.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The water then may come in through the filter housing.
Next would be to remove the filter to see if it's wet inside there.
If it's been wet for a while, some of the filter cover screws may be slightly corroded, indicating that they were in the wet from above.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Cheers. But where's it coming from? The seal you mention is still in place. I had my windscreen replaced just over a year ago and its been fine till recently. I wonder if its going under the plastic finishing trim at the bottom of the screen and then into the heater air intake. Mmmm??
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, I'd chack that the scuttle panel has not come unbonded from the windscreen. If it does, the water runs down the back of it and straight through the heater fan. It can also come in through the heater if the scuttle drain is blocked with leaves etc, causing the water to build up and overflow the blower inlet.

The good thing is it's unilkely to be the heater matrix, as that much water would be causing steam out of the vents / strong smells / possible overheating by now given the loss of water :roll:
Richard W
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks lads. Another busy evening for me I guess.
Cheers
Dave
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

At least this one was fairly easy to solve. I played a hose on the screen last night and sure enough the water was going under the scuttle trim into the heater air inlet. Removing and resealing the trim with silicone has cured it. Thanks for the advice lads.
Dave