XM clutch 2.1 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matthew
My Cars:

XM clutch 2.1 TD

Post by Matthew »

I parked my car in the morning outside job and after 10 hours i couldnt engage any gear at all with the engine running. I switched the motor off engage second gear and than started the motor. Got home in second gear.
The clutch had been changed a year before. What can it be?
THANKS
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I believe that all RHD XM TD's have hydraulic clutch release (unlike all petrol and LHD 2.1 TD's, that have cable release).
So there's a fair chance that you have a fault in the clutch release mechanism. I'm aftraid I cant help you more than suggest the Haynes BOL (which seems to cover the area reasonably well) since my 2.1 is LHD and has a cable.

//NiSk
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

It happens that this is a LHD brought from Poland with cable. Maybe now You can help me? please :(
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

OK. Open the bonnet and get someone else to depress the clutch pedal. You can see the end of the clutch cable down between the battery and the clutch housing. You should be able to see the clutch release arm move. If not, either the cable is broken or the attachment at the pedal or clutch housing end have given way. If it does move but he clutch still doesn't release, the relase arm fork (inside the clutch housing) may have cracked so that it no longer applies any force to the release bearing.

//NiSk
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

So i still have to take the gearbox out and check the clutch or is it only the fork which can be fixed without taking gearbox out ( I mean at least separeting the gearbox from engine in situ) how big the job is?
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

the release arm moves. to no avail :cry:
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

On your journey home did you change gear at all? Or did you just leave it in 2nd and engage and release the clutch at traffic light's etc???
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

i dont know if I should to admit but I drove in one gear (2) and I could not release the clutch so tried to avoid red lights. Hope You are not from the Police :shock:
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hmmm - if the release arm is moving you can try adjusting it (move the nut on the cable sleeve so that it takes up any slack in the wire) if this doesn't help then I'm afraid your going to have to separate the clutch housing from the engine. On the 2.1 TD this can be done without completely removing the gearbox - there is just enought space to move it toward the LH front wheel and allow you to get you hands inside the housing and get at the clutch assembly. However, its no short job - the drive shafts have to be removed and you have to be able to get under the car - preferrably using a grease pit or car lift.

//NiSk
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

No (laughing to myself) im not a policeman =D> . So you have pressure on the pedal, but you cant engage the clutch or change gear. Hmmmmm, when you had the clutch changed who did the work? Are they a decent garage, or just somewhere that you "picked" out of the phone book? It could be that the pressure plate is knackred - a few splines have broken off it, giving the pedal pressure but at the same time not exerting enough pressure onto the friction plate. Or they used a cheap clutch kit. I once came across a Vauxhall Carlton that had a "new" clutch fitted roughly a year old, and it was knackred (a cheaply made eastern european part). Did your Xm sink down on something, and then by pure bad luck bending the selector rods? - Alex.