xud cylinder heads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bez

xud cylinder heads

Post by bez »

I need a cylinder head for my citroen C15d van, been to a couple of scrap yards and they've not got any c15's but do have numerous cars paricularly peugeot 405's with similar engines. Does anyone know how interchangeable the heads are for these engines. Mine is a 1994 1769cc non turbo xud. Thanks....... :?:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I can only say based on passed experience of CXs that all the diesel heads are basically the same. You will probably find that some of the ancilliary bits and pieces are different but you should be able to change them over.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

someone told me the C15 head is diferant to all the others,he said that the C15 engine layes at a difeant angle to the others so the oil drain in the top of the head is not in the same place,i think he's talking a load of b***cks,the only thing i know of is make sure it has the same shape manifold ports
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The C15 van is the old Visa model. But the Visa may certainly be rare in the scrapyards - especially as diesels.
The XUD7 engine was used in numerous Citroen/Peugeot/other small to medium size diesel commercial vans. Because it was fitted with a somewhat short-legged gearbox it could be used as a commercial workhorse puller - not needing runner capabilities like in luxury cars.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

You can almost fit any XUD head to this engine, as the only real change made to the heads is that the turbo ones are a stronger grade of alloy and have ultra-hard exhaust valves.

You also need to be sure that you have the correct camshaft end, and threaded holes (or not) in the end of the head. Does yours have a pulley and a belt, or a close-coupled vacuum pump?

I think the reference to different oil drain backs refers to the XUD installation in the Citroen C25 van (not C15) as in this instance the engine leans forwards rather than backwards. The head is still the same, but the oil pump pick-up is rather different. C15's have the usual 25ish degree lean backwards

My advice would be to get a head that is the same mechanically as yours (pulley or bolted pump) have it skimmed, and shove it on.

On a 1994 engine, this surely must be an oval port engine, so all you need to do is avoid 305, 309, early 205 and early BX heads. That said, it's worth checking to be absolutely sure. The difference is in the exhaust ports. They will either be square or oval, and you can only tell once the exhaust manifold has been removed.
If you fit an oval port head where a square-port came off it will give you a little more power/torque. If you fit a square-port head where an oval port came off, you will lose a bit.
This is not a signature.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

one way or the other the wrong manifold dose not cover the ports properly,so it end up with a permenant exhaust blow from the manifold to haed joint
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And don't forget the Rover 200/400 diesel versions as well!! There must be quite a few of these in the scrappies now and they have the XUD too.

Up to about P reg I think.
bez

Post by bez »

Thanks for all the advise, scrap yards here I come !!!!!!!!
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Try Motorcast on 01939 236000 or

www.motorcast.com
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4