Curious steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

Curious steering

Post by AlWilliams »

Hi.

I have a problem with the steering on my ZX volcane TD, I'm not sure if it's leading to something dangerous happening so any advice greatly appreciated.

Over the past two weeks occasionally, but usually when manouvering at a very low speed / parking, the steering stiffens greatly up when turning the steering wheel to the left, almost as is there is no PAS. Sometimes it's like it's locked but will turn the opposit way with ease. :?:

I've checked the aux belt, it's new (6 months) and tight with no apparent ol / fluid on it. The tensioner is also new and the PAS pump was fitted at the same time (2nd hand bud in good condition). i.e. no slipping. Oh, and the fluid is new and full.

Any idea on what's causing this??

Many thanks.
ZX TD Volcane 133k
Several bikes (for when the car don't go)
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. So when you do judge him, you will be a mile away and have his shoes.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think this may be extremely dangerous. Apparently there is a piston on the end of the ram fitted to the ZX and this can come off and jam the steering. There is a good description of the problem in a couple of threads from way back but from what I recall this sounds exactly like what you are suffering.

Have a look at this link - particularily Dave Burns post.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=4025
jeremy
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Thank you for your quick reply.

I found the post, back in 2001. That seems to make sense, and worries me quite a bit as i'd no idea the problem could lock my steering completely.

:shock: :shock:

Guess it's time to break out the plastic and put my weekend plans on hold.

Bugger. :(

Thanks again Jeremy.
ZX TD Volcane 133k
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. So when you do judge him, you will be a mile away and have his shoes.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Thank you for your quick reply.

I found the post, back in 2001. That seems to make sense, and worries me quite a bit as i'd no idea the problem could lock my steering completely.

:shock: :shock:

Guess it's time to break out the plastic and put my weekend plans on hold.

Bugger. :(

Thanks again Jeremy.
ZX TD Volcane 133k