xantia starter not turning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

xantia starter not turning

Post by tj »

my xantia wagon (auto) failed to start after stopped for petrol. when a cable is linked from the battery '+' terminal to the starter directly and with the ignition key at "on", the starter turns and the engine fires up. what could be the problem? I was told that it could be either a faulty ignition switch, a faulty starter relay or the "gear inhibitor switch" malfunctioning. after searching forum, it seems it is highly likely to be a faulty ignition switch, if that is the case, can it be repaired?

http://www.alllinuxcd.com
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that new switches aren't particularily expensive. have a look at the GSF and Eurocarparts on line shops and GSF catalogue (downloadable)
jeremy
dieseldes1

Post by dieseldes1 »

First thing to check is the exciter terminal on the starter motor, I have lost count of the number of Peugot/citroen cars I have been out to where all the terminal needs is a clean up (some cases cable terminal replaced),
check there is voltage on the terminal when the ignition switch is turned to start.

Des
C5 2L 90hp estate 2001 118,000
Peugot 2L HDI 2000 82,000
Xantia 2 1.9TD Estate 1998 100,000 'oops' does not mate with BMW
Xantia 1.9TD saloon 1996 120,000 Sold
Honda CB450dx 1990
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

problem solved! it was the ignition switch alright, it was duely replaced and the car starts normally. one strange thing though. before the ignition switch was replaced, i started the car by jumping directly from the battery and drove around, but the auto box refused to shift up from first, it jerks on first and lost drives intermittently. after the swtich was replaced, the gear box problem dissappeared as well. any possible explanation here?

http://www.alllinuxcd.com
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The auto is electronically controled, so a faulty switch could lead to insuficient voltage feed to the gearbox ECU.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955