Xantia 16V petrol won't start (Turns over though)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantrouble

Xantia 16V petrol won't start (Turns over though)

Post by Xantrouble »

First off ...I hope I've posted in the right place[?] . I was trying to loosen up the dreaded rear height corrector linkage whilst the Xan was on ramps. The car ran out of fuel and since it has been refilled it won't start. The engine turns but it looks like no fuel is reaching the engine. There is no noise from tank as if the fuel is pumping when ignition is turned on. Relavent fuses seem ok. Would be V grateful for any clues.....Pretty much a DIY newby with this so please keep it in laymans speak. Hopeless and carless at the moment!
Thanks
Xantrouble
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the fuel pump on your car may only run while you are trying to start it (carrys on if the engine fires). Is the car still on ramps, which end is in the air? how much fuel have you put in it?
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi - I know it sounds stupid and highly unlikely but if the car is still on the ramps THAT MAY be your trouble...

I couldn't get my '93 2.0i Xm 8v started for love nor money after running out of fuel as it sat idling on a steep ramp outside where it's stored.

I tried systematically exchanging everything off an adjacent similar spec car and it looked for all the world like there was no spark OR fuel. Difficult to check for a spark on your own mind; off with the ECU, ignition module, electronic distributor, HT leads etc etc.

I started jacking it up so as to move it out of the way off the ramp – I jacked it WELL off the ground to drop the rear wheels clear so I could prop the trailing arms to prevent bottoming out the nosecone on the ramp. As the car was perfectly horizontal due to the front being totally flat I thought "what if" and tried turning it over...

Bloody thing fired up straight off!

No explanation as to why, only I found the cure!! :lol:

Dodgy sticking fuel pick up sender - the Xm's pump lives in the tank. May have had trouble priming...

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Xantrouble

Post by Xantrouble »

Thanks for these comments. Yep in the past I've experienced the no petrol thing if the car is on an angle but it's been on the level...The car came down off the ramps and bumped a kerb whilst doing so. I checked the cut off switch in the engine compartment in case the bump against the kerb shut off the petrol. Guess the thing in the tank is worth checking as a port of call....Thanks again ...would welcome any other ideas...
Xantrouble

Post by Xantrouble »

Got the problem sorted.....After a bit of faffing about. The petrol pump which lives in the tank was kerput. As luck would have it I'm about to scrap my last Xantia and so I put the pump from that in as a replacement. The Haynes book of porkies states that the sealing ring on the petrol tank should unscrew after using a screwdriver tapped against some lugs which are dotted round the sealing ring. In practice the ring refused to budge on both cars using that method. All that happened was that the lugs broke away. Yes Mr Haynes I did try to tap the things "gently"!. I ended up making a gadget to remove the ring . Anyone wanting a diagram of it will gladly email it out to them. meteorcloud57@hotmail.com

Thanks for the replies.
Xantrouble
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Xantrouble.

Glad it's working again!! :lol:

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the retaining ring - whatchumaycallit on a blanket doesn't even match it's stubborn staying power!!

Do you think it could've been the small float jobby sticking preventing the electrical switch on the top to cut the pump in...?

Incidentally, what colour Xant are you scrapping - it wouldn't be DARK green or metallic gold would it as I'm shopping for panels...? :)

All the best,
Andrew
Xantrouble

Post by Xantrouble »

Ah!....Now I did try to dismantle the old pump a bit gingerly but as I wanted to try it in the other (heading for the scrappers Xant) I put it in the old car both to test it and also to block up the pong of petrol from the old car. When I
tried to start up the old car the pump didn't work. So.....the reason it faiiled will probably remain a mystery.
The Xant I'm scrapping is a dark green. It's gonna get moved (free) by the local council soonish. ie once I've scavenged a few more bits off it. I've already got the headlights (See what poor quality those are...) and the rear height corrector etc. etc. I'm in Manchester. Am open to offer for the bits I don't want. Am currently looking into getting some locks for mine as I'm getting bored with the palavar of trying to get into it through the passenger door (The only lock that kinda works). I must look like a safebreaker when I'm trying to get into the darn thing.

Xantrouble
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Xantrouble.

I don't know if you've seen my wanted posting, but here goes anyhow...

I'm after a bonnet/tailgate/nearside front wing and both nearside doors in the DARK green colour plus a tailgate if there's room :lol: and it's got paint on the horizontal face!!

It's not the more popular mallard/jade/aqua OR whatever it's called - my one's a lot darker; it's on an N plate - the paint code's all I'd need to determine whether it's mine or not!

I'm in your part of the world next weekend...

All the best, Andrew
Xantrouble

Post by Xantrouble »

Hi Andrew and any other watchers

The green I have is the bog standard one that you see everywhere (ie not dark dark). The nearside front is a bit scuffed and dented at wheel arch and the tailgates a bit pushed in from reversing into an imoveable object (promised myself I'll be a bit more careful with the one I'm getting ready now)

Tell me where I can find the paint code and I'll have a look for you

Hope you get your bits

Xantrouble
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Xantrouble.

The paint code is a large white 5 letter stencilled number on the offside engine bulkhead just beside the top strut - I cannot recall what the codes are myself now, but there's R, C, & Y in there somewhere on the popular green although mine has an S...

Andrew
Xantrouble

Post by Xantrouble »

Ok...Will have a look on Wednesday (day off)

Xantrouble
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Xanatrouble [and anyone else that may have green panels available!!], the emerald green code is ERYCR - the darker green that I'm after is ESYCR. Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Xantrouble - do you ever get around to checking the paint code on the green xantia that's being broken? Andrew